Multibooting utility discs

joe2005

I have with me ERD Commader software for XP and windows 7.I want to add windows 7 repair disc to make a combined disc for repairing my system .I spent considerable time on the net for a solution.But I am more confused..Can somebody guide me to make a bootable cd?.Since I am a non geek I request a guide for the same.thanks.

I've spent a considerable amount of time myself, and it is possible. It well take some tweaking and a lot of time even after you figure out how its done. This is definitely something you should tackle when you have plenty of free time. I won't be able to go into specifics but heres what I do to make my discs.

I recommend you download VirtualBox to test your built ISOs before burning them to avoid wasting discs. Create a new machine (I call mine "ISO Machine") and don't attach any virtual hard disks to it.

The easiest way in my opinion is to build an ISO that uses grub4dos at boot with a menu.lst to boot each individual OS on the disc. Some boot discs may already have their own boot configuration file with what well be needed for your menu.lst, while some may not and well take more time.

Extract the latest version of grub4dos after downloading the zip. You'll also need mkisofs and cygwin1.dll (you may need to download that separately) if you plan to make the disc with Windows.

Create a new directory for the disc and place all the contents of the disc in it. grldr and menu.lst well need to go in that folder. When you have everything where you want it use mkisofs to build the disc. Heres an example of the command you would use to build the ISO:

Code:
mkisofs -R -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -o Tools.iso iso_root

Download our recovery discs for Windows and place the ISOs as is in your disc folder. To boot them use an entry like this in your menu.lst:

Code:
title Windows 7 Recovery
map /Win7Recovery.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)+1

Last edited:
Back