new hardware :)

Kahai

Distinguished Member
i purchased some more RAM and a new gfx card today

i was allowed $100 dollars from my mother and i spent under that :smile:

i purchased:
Leadtek PX8400GS TDH 256MB GeForce 8400GS 512MB (256MB onboard) 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 ( $57.99 ($37.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate) 3 Business Day Shipping $6.33 )
and then:
WINTEC AMPO 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) ($22.49 3 Business Day Shipping $4.99 )
i read the reviews and shopped around (tigerdirect didnt have those as cheap (especially the ram)

i would just like to see what you all think about that new hardware

im glad i am upgrading into the GeForce series 8 (even if its the cheapest and lowest quality one)

and i horribly needed more RAM ^_^

The Video Card is decent. Would have been better with GDDR3 instead of GDDR2. GDDR3 is almost twice as fast. Would have helped your performance out a little bit more. But still not a bad buy for what you got.

The RAM is good. At least it is what you need and it will help boost your performance.

Last edited:
Interesting video card, I didn't even know that model existed, lol. DX10? Wow, I thought lower then 8500 are on DX9. Good deal, hm, it's not expensive. :smile:

Decent card, really. Only thing I would say could be better is that 64-bit memory, but oh well.

Damn, I will hardly see my new PC before spring next year. :scared:

^ yes i know the grdd2 is something to be looked at

but i was majorly budgeted and i didnt want to exceed $100, the final price came out to be $91.80 and i didnt even buy the cheapest 8400 newegg was offering:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

i did my research before buying, made sure it was DX10 enabled and it is a big upgrade from a ATI 9250 pro

if i had the money to solely spend on a gfx card, i would have gotten something better, but running on 512 on vista is tricky

oh and i remembered:
GeForce 8 Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the 8400 and 8300 (both entry level) are 64-bit GDDR2 memory styles

one last thing:

Nvidia new series 9 GeForce is rumoured to be coming out the end of this month:
GeForce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Code:
nVIDIA's GeForce 9 generation, also known as the G92 (formerly G90) or the 9800, was rumored to be released on November
12, 2007. However, it was actually the G96, a revision of the G80 core, that was rumored and has been named the Geforce 8800GT.
It's release date was November 12, 2007 but has been rolled up to October 29, 2007 to better compete with ATi's RV670, a revision of
their R600, HD2900XT, graphics cards. [URL]http://en.hardspell.com/doc/showcont.asp?news_id=1602[/URL]

Hmmm - that last bit makes me wonder if I shouldn't put off getting my 8800 GTS until the 29th or thereabouts?

Then again, it's always "wait another week and ______ will be a bit cheaper"

^ lol

i dont know much about the new series

i know that there was a fake out with a 8800gts that was really a 9800

the 9800 is brought up from the 8800

again im sure that the new card will be for the most part in the triple digits in cost for a while, and will be DX10 (and maybe 10.1) enabled and support GL 3.0...

im just glad ill be getting a upgrade ^_^ YAY ME!

atm however i cant get vista to boot :frowning:

9 series?! Oh crap, no Guru, we better wait another century - it should be free then. This is crazy, I think this is too fast :angry: way too fast.

Phew... No idea what to think, is nVidia trying to make a chip double faster then ATi/AMD can make? :tongueout:

well

it was to be released later, like maybe next year early, but with ATI's new HD2900XT

or so the wiki article said lol idk whats going on lol :smile:

The HD 2900 XT is already out.....

The nVidia 8800 GT (it's a slower model that performs better than the GTS because of the 65nm technology) is coming out on the 29th of October, followed by its competitor for AMD, the HD 3870 something, on the 17th of November.

All the video card gurus out there recommend I wait till then - not for the price drops, but to get one of these two cards instead of an 8800 GTS 320MB now.

The HD 2900 XT is already out.....

The nVidia 8800 GT (it's a slower model that performs better than the GTS because of the 65nm technology) is coming out on the 29th of October, followed by its competitor for AMD, the HD 3870 something, on the 17th of November.

All the video card gurus out there recommend I wait till then - not for the price drops, but to get one of these two cards instead of an 8800 GTS 320MB now.

Hahahaha, Guru will play Crysis on full details and max resolution on at least 70 fps on his future Monster PC :grinning: Lucky he. :grinning: *dreams of his PC* :ldown:

Back