No edit option for Linux

I am using my business laptop (a Microsoft Surface Pro 6) with Windows 10. I intended to install Linux (Linux Mint) on a second partition. Installation worked flawless. I can boot using the grub loader. So far so good. But when I start EasyBDC (just did it on my Dell Latitude 5285 - same here) I get the message that my system is currently in "EFI mode" and due to restrictions by Microsoft some options are not available. So guess that's the reason why I am not able to edit the Linux part in the main window. I have local admin privileges. Doesn't change starting EasyBDC with or without admin rights. Any idea why that happens? On both laptops I am using UEFI bios. Also disabled "Secure Boot" and - on top - TPS. No change at all. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• EasyBDC.png
    EasyBDC.png
    38 KB · Views: 0
  • EFI Meldung.png
    EFI Meldung.png
    9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Microsoft W10 efi version of bootmgr does not allow booting "foreign" or even MS legacy OSs. There's no way around the prohibition, not even with EasyBCD. The normal solution is to let grub take control of the boot when you install Linux, and let grub chain to bootmgr rather than the reverse.
EasyBCD and UEFI

I was able to enable the Bootmanager and I also get the option with the boot manager to load the same options the uefi bios offers

- Windows 10
- Linux Mint
- USB
- Network

Only problem here - and that's why I tried the easyBSD way - to edit the Linux Mint start settings because the windows entry points to partition1. And the Linux mint is on partiton4. Any idea how I can edit this. Grub does load Correctly.

However I ask myself for which case is easyBSD useful if windows 10 doesn't allow editing the bootloader?

I dual-boot W10 and W7 on a UEFI PC.
No problems with any number of Vista/W7/W8/W8.1/W10 permutations and combinations.
The prohibition is on pre-Longhorn versions of Windows and non-Windows OSs.
You can also boot those others providing that you eschew the UEFI advantages and install the W10 as an MBR/BIOS system, but that's not a lot of help if you bought a PC with pre-installed Windows rather than building the system from components and buying a retail DVD for the OS (or in my case getting a free W10 download to replace W8.1)
When you Install Linux on a UEFI PC, you have to force it to take control of the boot. A default installation will not do that, unlike in the old days (a decade ago when I last installed Ubuntu) when it would default to grabbing control of the boot and had to be stopped from doing so if you wanted to retain control with the MS bootmgr. Presumably you didn't override the default action at installation time.

So you're telling me that EasyBDC only works on MBR and not on GPT? For real? Okay. So I spend the money for nothing.
The Surface Pro 6 is a business laptop and already on UEFI. No sense for me to chance that to MBR for this boot menu.

But I get the boot menu under UEFI. I am only not able to alter the setting so that this menu boots the right partition.
Any advice what I need to enter so that the correct partition is loaded? With VisualBCD I am able to alter it. But not how.

It's not EasyBCD that doesn't work.
It's Microsoft prohibiting any such use of the efi version of bootmgr.
You can still edit the BCD, you just can't make it boot things which microsoft has forbidden.
EasyBCD is free software for home use.

EasyBCD works fine with both the GPT/UEFI and MBR/BIOS versions of the Windows bootloader. Like @Terry60 says, what it can't do is get the Windows bootloader to load Linux (rather than having the Linux bootloader load Windows). "Dumb" tools that let you blindly edit the BCD data can let you "add" such an entry or configure it however you like, but it's not going to work. EasyBCD isn't preventing you from booting, it's preventing you from wasting your time creating a boot entry that will never work.

Back