Non commercial use of EasyBCD

ChrisJ

I have a home network based on a MIcrosoft Windows Server 16. When I try to use EasyBCD on one of my machines to dual boot with Fedora it gives me an error message saying I have to buy a license as I am a commercial user. I am not. Is there anything I can do to use EasyBCD?

You have downloaded the wrong version, please uninstall it and use the FREE version. When it asks you to register ignore it and click the Download button.

This still does not work. EasyBCD detects that my machine is connected to the Windows16 Server and decides that it is in a commercial environment, which it is not. When I used Windows Home Server EasyBCD worked fine. When WHS stopped working, I changed to a CentOS server. Again EasyBCD worked fine. When CentOS ceased support for CentOS 8 I changed to Windows Server 16 Essentials. No version of EasyBCD will work with that.

EasyBCD assumes a commercial environment if it is running on Windows Server or if it's a member of the domain - I think that's pretty fair and we've only had a couple of cases like yours in all these years.

There's not really much you can do about it besides running it from another OS on the same machine (it'll configure the same, shared bootloader) - assuming you have multiboot with another Windows installation.

Thanks for your time. I guess I will have to try something from the Fedora side. Assuming a commercial environment from the use of a Microsoft server is a bit strange when using the same network with a Linux (CentOS) is acceptable!

Back