Problem with using 2.4 community(free) edition

spschneer

I've downloaded version 2.4 several times and have the same results...almost all functions are disabled with the message appearing "Not available without a license" "Purchase license now?" Not sure if this is a new direction for the product but very disappointing that the web page doesn't indicate the "free" version doesn't do anything...

Don't register.
That's only necessary for a commercial licence.
Just download it and use it.

I'm trying to add a Windows 10 Recovery partition to my system. I'm following the instructions at This Location for creating it.

Here are the steps I followed (per the video above)...
  • Downloaded community edition (Right most of 3 boxes on screen - you have to click on the "register" button to begin the download dialog, but didn't enter any info/name on the subsequent screen, just clicked download).
  • Ran the downloaded file (as adminstrator) and it unpacked and created a desktop icon for the EasyBCD program.
  • Opened that (got a "reminder" that this was a non-commercial version and that I needed to register if used commercially - closed that pop-up without doing anything).
  • On the "main" BCD screen, on the lower half of the screen, selected the WinPE tab, and entered the location of my boot.wim file (F:\sources\boot.wim).
  • Clicked on the green arrow, to execute the requested action and got the pop-up saying that that function was not available in this edition.
It appears to me that the primary functionality of the product has been migrated out of the free version to the paid version. If there's anything you can see that I'm doing wrong, I'd love to know...

As far as I know, there's no reduced functionality in the free version (except of course on UEFI Pcs where some features are disabled because they are not applicable in UEFI - nothing to do with Neosmart)
attached is the 2.3 installer which was being used in that video you linked, which as you saw was just a vanilla free download.
If that gives the same results as your 2.4 download, then I'd guess you are doing something wrong.
What dropdown did you specify for instance ?
Is your PC UEFI ?

Attachments

• EasyBCD 2.3.exe
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
Terry,
THIS WORKED PERFECTLY... I downloaded the 2.3 from your link, Executed it (as admin) to install, and then used EasyBCD just as shown in the video. The difference was amazing. The 2.4 version is just like a "trial", non-functional sample, while the 2.3 is a complete product that is restricted to non-commercial use (by honor / propriety of user). I'm not sure if the 2.4 version is meant to be as restrictive but it eliminates the ability to actually use it to make changes to your system. The 2.3 version makes the changes as expected and "trusts" the user to behave appropriately.

Thank you very much for working with me on this...if you want me to help with testing 2.4 (if it gets updated to allow similar non-commercial use) I'd be happy to. Seems like it is a good product that could be very useful when necessary...
Steve

Based on my experience, 2.3 is a typical app with license restrictions for personal (NON-Commercial) use. It carries the full functionality and is licensed for non-commercial use (for free or donation) and Paid for any other use. 2.4 (in my specific case) was much more like a demo or trial to see what the interface was like, but without the ability to make any changes permanent. Based on Terry's comment above, I'm not sure if that is how it's supposed to be or if he just hasn't had a chance to experience it yet... Happy to know someone else experienced similar behavior...

Just to be clear, I use 2.4 (free). It works exactly like 2.3 (with added fixes to known 2.3 Linux problems).
I just happen to have an archive of many many EasyBCD previous builds.
I've no idea why you should be seeing restrictions which I don't.

Well, that's just weird...I just tried downloading and installing 2.4 (thinking maybe an update from 2.3 would act differently), and got the following results...Running EasyBCD.exe(as admin) states that I need to register and pay for a license otherwise most functions will not work. After I installed, I attempted to modify my boot menu (changed BCD entry name from Win10 Recovery to Win10 REC). It would not make the change. Stated via popup box: "A product license is required to use EasyBCD in a commercial environment. Would you like to purchase one now? Note that most features will be unavailable without a license." As I stated, 2.3 worked as expected on the same machine, same configuration, same environment. I don't know why you're getting different results than I am, but there are several reports like mine in different threads on this forum.
Steve (confused and bewildered)

I am also using 2.4 Community free - same as 2.3 - no restrictions but have to right-click and use as Administrator also on Administrator account - not sure why - to save bcd backup and to run it sometimes. Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling new version after a reboot?

I haven't done any further testing (since Terry posted the URL for 2.3, which worked as expected). When I tried 2.4, it was totally crippled in function. It would not make any changes permanent, just display what what was there. I tried rebooting, (several times), uninstalling/reinstalling, redownloading, everything I could think of, but it would not do anything but "demo" (and indicate a license was required).

Hi I did actually make a small donation now come to think of it - prob with ver 2.4 -so maybe it is more donationware - not certain, but worth doing if use this program often. Good software, very helpful. Seems my issues with it being slow, admin perms etc gone now after I reloaded my latest bios flash again.

I'm running into the same issue. It seems to use some of the features in 2.4 you must register and pay? Anyways, trying to find a 2.3 on the web somewhere.

Search free EasyBCD 2.3 Community edition - not much difference in 2.4 - seems just a few added options like ability to turn on or off Hyper-V for an entry - but you can do this easily enough with manual bcdedit cmds (search google these). Majorgeeks is a reliable download site - here is a link for 2.4 if want retry Download EasyBCD - MajorGeeks

I have same problem using EasyBCD as free user, it keep asking me for licencing software and i can't use any feature. I want to test 2.3 attached above but somehow i got error from this portal it said
Oops! We ran into some problems.
This attachment cannot be shown at this time. Please try back later.

Terry60 i'd be very thankful if you somehow sent me that version. Thank you.

You've downloaded the paid version Uninstall it if it's shown in your Program list
Click the bottom right-hand side "Register" button on THIS page.
Then if you want just click Download on the next page that displays. No need to register as that will give you the paid version.

As far as I know, there's no reduced functionality in the free version (except of course on UEFI Pcs where some features are disabled because they are not applicable in UEFI - nothing to do with Neosmart)
attached is the 2.3 installer which was being used in that video you linked, which as you saw was just a vanilla free download.
If that gives the same results as your 2.4 download, then I'd guess you are doing something wrong.
What dropdown did you specify for instance ?
Is your PC UEFI ?
Hello Terry, can you please share
a new link for EasyBCD 2.3 as I couldn't find the file in above link.
I too registered for the community version of 2.4 but it isn't allowing me to do anything.

Back