Problems with NeoGrub and menu.lst

laefsky

Dear Computer Guru:
First thanks for all your help :smile: I tried installing neogrub with a menu.lst as follows:

timeout 8
root (hd1,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5 vga=0x31a resume=/dev/hdb2 splash=silent showopts
initrd /boot/initrd
title Failsafe -- SUSE Linux 10.1
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma acpi=off noresume nosmp no apic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
initrd /boot/initrd

I'm not clear whether I had an error in my Neogrub menu.lst or if there was a problem because SUSE wouldn't completely uninstall the original grub. But do you have any suggestions, or is there any error in the syntax of my menu.lst.
When I installed Neogrub with this menu.lst the Neogrub Option in EasyBCD get returning to the Menu of EasyBCD when I selected the Neogrub option. The Windows VISTA and XP menu items continued to function as normal.

Thank you very much for your help.

--Ira Laefsky
laefsky at verizon dot net
and
ira dot Laefsky at gmail dot com

Hi Ira, I guess I can officially welcome you to the NeoSmart Technologies community now!

What is the filesystem used on your SUSE partition? If it's not ext2/3 fs, it's not going to work with NeoGrub, and you'll have to use the standard GRUB hook feature in EasyBCD, which requires that GRUB be manually installed to the bootsector of the partition first.

Good luck!

Back