Thunderbird creates error in email message when backing-up

Hikermann

Distinguished Member
Windows 10

TBird 102.2.1 - just updated . . . and discovered that doing so caused several folder modifications I had just completed in the previous version disappeared. Really, really helpful . . . not.

Was in the midst of copying email files/messages to an external drive; 3/4 of the way through, in checking the "finished product" over there on the external, I discovered that -- regardless of what date the email had originally, TBird was changing all of the message dates to today's! That's really, really useful . . . I guess . . . in someone else's reality. My reality is that when I'm backing up email messages I have a reasonable expectation that they will each accurately reflect everything associated with the original(s).

So: How does one tell TBird to leave the original date(s) alone and copy the message(s) intact?

Guess it's now looking as if I will have to start this process all over -- and attempt to not seriously begrudge a program that makes such an unwarranted and unexpected change . . .

Thanks for any helpful information; appreciated.

My sister have also this kind of question and after she get her solution after that I fill that you've encountered a couple of issues with Thunderbird. Here are some possible solutions to try:

1. Retrieving lost folder modifications: When you updated Thunderbird, the program may have created a new profile, which could have caused your folder modifications to be lost. Try accessing your old profile by following these steps:
  • Open Thunderbird and go to Help > Troubleshooting Information
  • Click on the "Open Folder" button next to "Profile Folder"
  • Copy the contents of your old profile (found in a folder with a name like "xxxxxxxx.default") to the corresponding location in the new profile
  1. Preserving original email dates: When you copy email messages to an external drive, Thunderbird may change the dates of the messages to the current date. To preserve the original dates, try the following:
  • Export the messages as an mbox file (right-click on the folder > "Export..." > "Email messages" > "Select the location to save the mbox file")
  • Use a third-party mbox viewer/editor (such as Mbox Viewer) to open the mbox file and verify that the dates are correct
  • Copy the mbox file to the external drive RunYourPool
I hope these suggestions help you to preserve your email messages and retrieve any lost modifications. If you continue to have issues, you may want to reach out to Thunderbird support or community forums for further assistance.

Back