Unmountable Boot Volume 2

Okay, so I was getting the unmountable boot volume error. I ran chkdsk p and r and fixboot, both chkdsks reported unrecoverable errors and fixboot couldn't find a drive, basically the same as the last guy.

I then ran bootcfg but /scan, /rebuild, /list et cetera weren't working; the first two mentioned corrupt drives and list said there were no drives.

So I ran fixmbr, which got me some results as chkdsk now have a bunch of statistics below the unrecoverable errors line.

Also startup now harasses me with the NTLDR missing screen.

So I went into Windows Repair, but it never prompts me to hit 1 and enter or asks for an admin password; instead I'm just in a command prompt zone, and I copied the two files (ntldr and ntdetect) onto C drive. C drive's contents are now BOOTLOG, ntldr, and ntdetect.com.

Those are the only contents, though, and it says there are about 10 million bytes available, when my harddrive is about 80 gigs.

After all this, I'm still getting NTLDR missing, even though the file is there. The XP disk is a 2002 copy. I can't think of any other information to include, or any other way to precede.

Prior to the original bluescreen error, my computer was entering a wierd lockdown where the monitor would stay on standby regardless of keyboard/mouse input. As far as I could tell, the tower was also unresponsive. There was also another bluescreen error but that was after a log on attempt, and a repeated log on solved the issue for the time. I donh't remember the top, but the bottom mentioned "beginning dump of physical memory", at which point I shut off the computer.

What now?

Hi Taggerattack, and welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

You have had the misfortune of experiencing a real hard drive crash. The best thing you can do is take out your physical hard drive, attach it to another PC, run chkdsk from there, and then use a file recovery tool to get your data back.

If the data isn't valuable to you, then proceed to format it from the command prompt, then run a chkdsk /r /f to find out whether or not the drive itself is physically damaged.

Back