Well now I’ve done it!

Nofallo

I have a trusted old W7 and a brand new W10 on two different SSDs that when connected one at a time, worked perfectly. After installing EasyBCD on W10 drive, I hooked up both SSDs, launched EasyBCD, tried to find my W7 drive and couldn’t. W10 disk management saw the W7 drive as present but unavailable due to a conflict. I tried to locate it thru EasyBCD but no luck. I installed part of EasyBCD to create a USB bootable thumb drive on my visible drive, thinking it might make it visible to the other drive. Upon reboot with both SSDs attached, neither OS will boot. I disconnected the W10 drive, thinking W7 should boot as before. No joy. I now have 2 drives with previously working OS’s that even Windows repair utility can’t recover. I have a restore point on the W10 drive that now I can’t access. I also have a complete image backup of W7 that now is inaccessible. Where do I start to undo this disaster? EasyRE? I really don’t want to rebuild from scratch.

If you have a bootable W10 installation device,
boot it and Repair your computer > Repair startup
Do the above line (all of it) three times with the W10 SSD mounted.
If you don't have installation media and you failed to make a repair disk, try making one on another W10 PC if you know someone else who uses it.
Control Panel > Backup and Restore > Create Repair Disc
I installed part of EasyBCD to create a USB bootable thumb drive on my visible drive
If you mean you used EasyBCD > BCD Deployment > Create Bootable EXTERNAL Media
(my emphasis) on your SSD, then that's how you bricked it, by overwriting the SSDs boot files with a BCD meant for an empty thumb drive.
I've no idea why W7 was affected though. Maybe because
W7 drive as present but unavailable due to a conflict.
this might be a disk signature collision.
Have you been cloning one SSD from the other ?

If you have a bootable W10 installation device,
boot it and Repair your computer > Repair startup
Do the above line (all of it) three times with the W10 SSD mounted.
If you don't have installation media and you failed to make a repair disk, try making one on another W10 PC if you know someone else who uses it.
Control Panel > Backup and Restore > Create Repair Disc

If you mean you used EasyBCD > BCD Deployment > Create Bootable EXTERNAL Media
(my emphasis) on your SSD, then that's how you bricked it, by overwriting the SSDs boot files with a BCD meant for an empty thumb drive.
I've no idea why W7 was affected though. Maybe because

this might be a disk signature collision.
Have you been cloning one SSD from the other ?
I managed to get my W10 running perfectly by erasing and recreating the MBR. Unfortunately, my W7 partition on a different SSD doesn’t show up as a bootable partition or even visible. I had made a complete BU in Paragon Partition Manager right before making any changes. It spent 3 days trying to restore my W7 drive and failed. Here I thought I was safe but it looks like I have to clone from a 2020 BU drive as EasyBCD doesn’t seem able to find any OS to assign a rebuilt MBR to. Am searching for lost partitions with Hiran’s Boot utility now. This has been the worst computing nightmare I’ve ever had since 1982. At least I’m only half beaten at this point.

I had to revert to a year old backup of my D: data drive as the newly created one was not seen as a viable backup, even though Paragon "successfully created" the archive two weeks ago.

Perhaps you need to configure System Restore which creates automatic backups if configured correctly.
Read this tutorial and see "Related Tutorials" at the bottom of the tutorial (there are posts afterwards so just scr4oll diwn to the beginning of the question area. Read how to enable or disable SR and how to adjust how much space it takes up. On mine I have set it at 10% of the drive.

Perhaps you need to configure System Restore which creates automatic backups if configured correctly.
Read this tutorial and see "Related Tutorials" at the bottom of the tutorial (there are posts afterwards so just scr4oll diwn to the beginning of the question area. Read how to enable or disable SR and how to adjust how much space it takes up. On mine I have set it at 10% of the drive.
Neither System Restore nor Windows Backup function, at all for some unknown reason. They used to years ago. I get an error message when I try to create a restore point and Windows Backup won’t even launch…just sits there. Did SFC and still nothing.

That's a shame. Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter just in case.
You'll find that by pressing Start > Control Panel >select View by large icons > Troubleshooting > (Left Menu) View All

It may help.

Back