Windows Keys Issue in Dell Inspiron

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised when Windows 10 was being uploaded last Thursday morning. I was still not sure about 10 and decided to stay with Windows 8 so I declined the upgrade. My Dell started to reload 8. I shut the system down and found out that my unit is now not working. I did not download the Windows 8 disk when I got my Dell and it is out of warranty. I have a friend that works with Dell and he gave me a recovery disk. I can now boot up to the advance options mode. However it will not recover as I am getting either a hard disk lock and or a disk partition error. When I try to do a complete 8 reinstall from the disk it requires a key. My Dell did not have the key listed on the box as I have been told that it was loaded to the bios on the mother board. Dell support has been no help as they had me run a diagnosis and all checked out. They told me to run the reinstall from my recovery disk. When it asked for the key they said my hard drive must be replaced?
My Insite Schedule

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your Dell computer. It sounds like there are a few problems at play here, including the Windows 10 upgrade, the hard disk lock, and the disk partition error. Let's break down the situation and provide some suggestions:

Windows 10 upgrade: If you declined the Windows 10 upgrade, it should not have initiated the installation process. However, it's possible that some system files or settings were affected during the upgrade attempt.
Hard disk lock and disk partition error: The hard disk lock and disk partition error indicate potential issues with the hard drive itself. It's possible that the drive has encountered errors or corruption.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

a. Hard drive diagnostics: Run a comprehensive diagnostic test on your hard drive to check for any hardware failures or errors. You can usually access these diagnostics from the Advanced Options menu. If any errors are detected, it may indicate a hardware issue with the hard drive, and it might need to be replaced.
b. BIOS settings: Access the BIOS settings and check if the hard drive is recognized and properly configured. Ensure that the SATA mode is set correctly (AHCI is recommended for most modern drives). If the hard drive is not detected or configured incorrectly, you may need to adjust the settings accordingly.
c. Recovery or installation media: Use the recovery disk provided by your friend to attempt a reinstallation of Windows 8. When prompted for a key, try using the "OEM Activation Key" provided by Dell on a sticker attached to your computer. If you can't find the key or it doesn't work, you may need to contact Dell for further assistance, especially if your computer is still within its warranty period. My BK Experience
d. Professional assistance: If the above steps don't resolve the issue, consider seeking professional assistance from a local computer repair service or contacting Dell support again. They might be able to provide more specific guidance based on the diagnostic results and the specific model of your Dell computer.

Remember to back up any important data on your hard drive before attempting any troubleshooting steps, as some procedures may result in data loss.

Best regard,
Brookes2F

After logging into your computer, start applying the following fixes.
  1. 1. Make Sure the Keys Aren't Damaged. ...
  2. Apply Some Preliminary Checks. ...
  3. Is a Certain Set of Keys Not Working on Your Laptop? ...
  4. Run the Keyboard Troubleshooter. ...
  5. Update or Reinstall the Keyboard Drivers. ...
  6. Change the Keyboard Settings.

After logging into your computer, start applying the following fixes.
  1. 1. Make Sure the Keys Aren't Damaged. ...
  2. Apply Some Preliminary Checks. ...
  3. Is a Certain Set of Keys Not Working on Your Laptop? ...
  4. Run the Keyboard Troubleshooter. ...
  5. Update or Reinstall the Keyboard Drivers. ...
  6. Change the Keyboard Settings.
It isn't a keyboard problem but a Microsoft Windows Product Key issue. Best resolved by calling Microsoft Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back