Windows Vista & Windows XP

It doesn't make a difference, so long as you do everything according to that.

Once you have a boot drive, you stick to it.

Anyway, if you go by the documentation at this point you're at the second to last step: bootcfg.

Boot from the Windows XP CD, go to the recovery console, and type
Code:
bootcfg /rebuild
and let it auto-recreate boot.ini for you with all the correct values.

Refer to the documentation for more info: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Windows+XP

Ok i did what you said. So now when i am choosing to boot from Windows XP it shows up more option to select which i have just added. I added "Microsoft Windows XP". I also added some more (eg "", "all", "1", etc) by mistake - how do i remove those?
When i am choosing the "Microsoft Windows XP" it restarts...What should i do next?

Which of "what I said" did you do? Bootcfg?

To remove those dupes, open up boot.ini and remove their lines.

To me, this sounds like your Windows XP is broken. If you did the bootcfg trick and it still won't boot; probably some XP system files are damaged.

Solution:
1. Delete all XP entries in EasyBCD
2. Delete all boot.ini and ntldr files.
3. Perform an in-place upgrade (repair install) of Windows XP. Once you've done that, XP will boot (no Vista).
4. Install and run EasyBCD from XP
5. Manage Bootloader | Reinstall Vista bootloader
6. Add/Remove | Windows XP | Add
7. Reboot and test.

The boot.ini file stays invisible. I can't see it on E:\ . It's not a "hidden" folder either. When i am trying to save there another boot.ini file, it is asking me if i want to replace it with the current boot.ini, so that means it's there...But how do i get it deleted and also i haven't find any file called ntldr...

I have also found out that there is a second boot.ini on C:\ and it's also invisible! I guess that means what caused the trobule...But the problem is...how do i delete them?

Last edited:
There are 3 types of "hidden" files:
1. Hidden (option is set via right-click -> properties)
2. System Files (built-into Windows; includes stuff like Boot.ini)
3. Rootkit-hidden files. Caused by spyware.

My Computer | Tools | Folder Options | View
Show operating system files (check it)
OK

That should make Boot.ini visible now.

Uh..how do you do that on Vista? I don't see anywhere tools > folder options.
~Ok i found out how.~

I deleted the boot.ini files, but where is/are the ntldr file(s)?
~I found it too.~

Last edited:
Hello. I did what you said before. I am in step 3, to repair Windows XP. There is a big problem. I tried to repair Windows XP but there was no a repair option, so i format the disc and installed Windows XP again, hoping i will get the same result. However, Windows XP couldn't start, it is saying that the ntldr file is missing!?! Neither Windows Vista will start! It is saying "error loading operating system"! I tried everything Windows Vista Repairs and Windows Recovery Tool...but nothing!(Now i am in my old pc...) Now i am locked out from my own pc!!! Is there ANY way that i can boot to Vista WITHOUT formatting it!?

I need help imediatly! I cannot live like this!!!

You can either reinstall Windows Vista (without a format) and get that working, or put this drive in another PC and copy the needed NTLDR files to there.

By saying to reinstall Windows Vista, you mean install it on the disk C:\ where my vista was before and then backup my stuff from "windows.old"?
This is what i am going to do and then i'll install Windows XP again on the other disk. After that i will come here for support...i hope i don't mess the things up and i hope to get it work.

As i said, i re-install Windows Vista and let my stuff go to windows.old folder, but still i am getting an message saying "a disk error occured".

By the way, no offense but, Easy BCD destroyed my computer...i have 2 disks, ishouldn't use it at the first place...i thought it was a very easy program...now i need days or weeks to get it fixed :frowning:

EasyBCD doesn't touch your MBR or your bootsector, it only adds entries to the Vista bootloader.

If you hadn't hastened to reformat your XP drive there would be no problem.

Anyway, best of luck with your recovery.

Back