BCD file from scratch

dey

Hi all,

Target:
I want be able to make a Vista boot environment from scratch, so mainly BCD file is corupt or missing and so boot fails for missing /boot/bcd

Environment:
- vmware
- 10GB HDD with 7GB Vista followed by 3GB XP
- boot is possible for both OS (both German)

Test scenario
- boot XP or UBCD with XP and .NET 2 patch (see EasyBCD support - UBCD4Win Forums)
- copy BCD with Vista for backup
- delete Vista from BCD with Easybcd
- copy BCD without Vista for backup
- reboot
- XP can be booted on HDD or as UBCD
- now I try to simulate a corrupt or missing BCD file by deleting BCD from Vista partition at /boot/
- start Easybcd
- (error) message appears that "BCD or MBR are not from latest Vista...", (-> is accepted)
- do I want Easybcd to correct it -> Yes
- now I need to select boot drive (actually strange as Vista is visible and all exists but BCD), here Vista is on v:, so I select v:
- select Vista drive letter as well as v:
- now I receive a error message: "access to path 'bootmgr.exe.mui' denied"
- anyway Easybcd start with empty "View settings" screen
- I try to add Vista now manually, with new error messages:
"unhandled exception occured in your application...
Index and count must refer to a location within the string.
Parameter count."
- I try the same with XP with hte same error message
- recreating missing/ deleted boot files again is requesting for boot partition and vista drive and end with the access problem to bootmgr.exe.mui
- at this point vista is lost!
- what seems to work is to copy back the bcd with xp on it and to add vista (but actually the backup came from this location so it is noe general solution as the backup need to be taken before you kill everything)

1. Should my scenario work or not?
2. Can anybody send me a bcd file from his system that I can test with parameters which doesn't match to my environment? (imail:bcd(at)deynews(dot)de)

bydey

Hello dey, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Your problem:
now I try to simulate a corrupt or missing BCD file by deleting BCD from Vista partition at /boot/

You need to:
1) Delete the C:\BOOT folder entirely
2) Delete C:\BOOTMGR entirely
3) Run EasyBCD to get it to re-create BCD from scratch :smile:

Hi Computer Guru
1) Delete the C:\BOOT folder entirely
2) Delete C:\BOOTMGR entirely
3) Run EasyBCD to get it to re-create BCD from scratch :smile:
Nope, it is not that easy.
In the meantime I played more and chewed the HDD by adding two more primaries:
- one in front of Vista and
- a second between Vista and XP
Recovering Vista was OK as BCD file was fine.
XP tried to boot but couldn't finish. So finally I just have now my UBCD to recover.
I now deleted the two additional primaries but kept the spaces.
If I start Easybcd on UBCD and rename /boot/ and bootmgr (should be same as delete) I get the warning about missing BCD or MBR.
I agree to let EasyBCD repair it, select 2x C: . The error message says: "The store import operation failed. Access denied". Actually Access denied comes in German language. After OK it tries to repair it again. This I could repeat nowuntil end of times.
The BCD file at this moment is just 8kb large.
Any idea?
If I try to use a backup BCD I can open with the selection window to specify where the boot partition (drive) is located. I can add Vista now. So anyhow it seems just to work with a "good" BCD.
Can you send me any BCD to check if it necessary that BCD matches to my environment or if any BCD which NOT corrupt works as well!?

bydey

Can you post the contents of "Detailed View" from UBCD?

You can't just cut and paste a BCD file from PC to another, that won't work.

Morning dey,

Here you are.

You can use this file (rename it to something.bcd first) from the EasyBCD restore settings page as well.

Attachments

• bcd.rar
    4.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Hi,
You can use this file (rename it to something.bcd first) from the EasyBCD restore settings page as well.
I think even this already has a relation to my system so I doubt if it will work for my trial.
Would be nice to get one from a different system. In the meantime I was able to create a BCD with no valid entry. Which might be similar to one from other system.

Anyway I'm not able to send details anymore. I don't get that window anymore. Just the small access violation window appears.

I get as well the feeling that there's a huge access limitation if I boot XP-BartPE. I.e. I can't delete the original boot-directory. memtest.exe and bootmgr.exe.mui are protected anyhow. Courious, I could rename the dir!?

bydey

Hi,
I uploaded my BCD file above, did you not see it?
Yep, I was too blind to see.
I tested your file and so far it was OK. But...
To be able to use your file I need to be able to start Easybcd. Which is actually not possible with a corrupt BCD.
I took your something.bcd and passed it through Easybcd to get a BCD which shows your system. Actually I can see it. So if I close Easybcd and start it again with your BCD I expect to see something like no valid entry as your system doesn't exist on my system so it shouldn't match. I'm not sure if the BCD is now really from a foreign system, as it already run through Easybcd on my system.
But I can't boot with your BCD.
After I replaced your entries with my local ones booting was succesful. Seems to work.

bydey

Back