Vista/OSX86 dual boot

rondark

I have done a lot of reading on the forum but have found no solution...

I have Vista booting on its own drive and OSX86 (Leopard) booting also on its own drive. So far I have to choose the boot drive for either from the BIOS. I have tried adding OSX in Easy BCD pointing to the C: drive. Whan I choose OSX in the boot window I get"chain booting error". I have also tried NeoGrub but only confused myself. Any suggestions?

Cheers

OS X needs to have its bootloader installed to the bootsector - sounds like it's only been installed to the MBR.

Could you expalin...I'm not too knowledgable with this?

Also should mention that OSX is using pc_efi bootloader

Last edited:
I am sorry but here at NeoSmart we do not support OS X.

NeoSmart Technologies does not in any way, shape, or form condone the use of "warez" or otherwise illegally installing OS X on non-Apple (generic) hardware!
EasyBCD provides a way for users to boot into an already installed OS X partition on Vista-powered PCs. NeoSmart Technologies will not provide help pertaining to the installation or obtainment of OS X redistributables. We are assuming you have one of the official (and very much legal) dev-kits released to OS X developers in the pre-Macintel production era! Do not ask for help in installing OS X unless you have such a dev-kit!

We can only help you get OS X added to the boot loader. We can not offer any support beyond that.

I highly doubt it's using the pc_efi bootloader, because EFI is only implemented (it's hardware) on actual Macs.

You'll need to use a proper installation media that correctly writes the bootloader to the bootsector, then EasyBCD will work.

I have Vista booting on its own drive and OSX86 (Leopard) booting also on its own drive. So far I have to choose the boot drive for either from the BIOS. I have tried adding OSX in Easy BCD pointing to the C: drive. Whan I choose OSX in the boot window I get"chain booting error". I have also tried NeoGrub but only confused myself. Any suggestions?

Rondark, have you found a way to dual boot your setup? I'm in exactly the same situation as you. I have Vista happily running and booting on one hard disk and an OSX86 installation booting and running off another, but I have to change the boot drive in my BIOS to make it happen. I've been trying to get Easy BCD to enable me to dual boot, but it seems it doesn't support having OSX on a different drive than the Vista bootloader. Or I'm just doing something wrong (entirely possible).

As Guru said it sounds as if the Darwin loader isnt loaded to the correct spot in order to get EasyBCD to dual boot them correctly.

Which means that would require a re-install of OS X.

Back