Need help with vista recovery disc please

Hey I am having trouble with the vista recovery disc download...

I downloaded the iso then burned it onto a cd r

then I put it in my laptop, (a sony vaio vgn-fz160e) and I am able to boot from it

it then says "windows is loading files" and a white progress bar appears at the bottom of the screen

however, is then proceeds to just keep booting up windows like I never booted from the disc...

after a little bit it just stays frozen on a dark-blue screen, the one right before you enter your log-in info

I could really use some help with this, I have papers and stuff I need to write for the weekend

I'll give any other info anyone else needs but I really really need help

thanks alot

-Todd

Addendum:

basically I am good up until the screen where you choose your language and what you want to do next... repair, and the other options

this screen..

moz-screenshot.jpg
http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/vista-repair-options/setup-language-options.jpg

that is the screen that never appears

Addendum:

oh, and I tried the disk in my friends laptop with vista.. aaaaand it worked perfectly

so what is my laptop missing?!?!?!?!??!

Last edited:
vista recovery disc

what do you need the disc for, or what are you attempting to do?

what recovery discs are you using (sony recovery disc or the repair disc) they have different objectives.

need a bit more information than what has been given.

kala sha

When you get to the Install Now screen you do not click install now. On the left hand side there is a Repair your PC link tha tyou click. This is just a Recovery CD to recover your boot or touse a restore point. It is not a full Vista DVD to reinstall Vista.

ok guess i shouldve explained a little more

i tried turning my laptop on yesterdya morning and it was fine, ran through windows, but I never actually got to the login screen

it would either flash a blue screen with white lettering or just restart

I then downloaded the
Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download

from this site, burned the .iso onto a cd and then booted from the cd on my laptop

it proceeds to say windows is loading files and the white bar appears on the bottom

however, i NEVER actually get to the install now screen, the one you are talking about Makaveli, it just kept on loading windows as if i never booted from the burnt cd

I did try to do this process on my friends computer and it worked so I'm not sure what else im doing wrong

Can you see what the Blue Screen flashes. It has to be the error code and that will help us diagnose the issue and get it fixed.

i wish i could, it literally flashes for a split second, I never see anything

i mean everythings fine except for the actual install now screen coming up

oh and the dead ;laptop

So the laptop is dead. You can not get into the install screen or the repair screen? IS the laptop still under warranty to get it fixed?

i wish i could, it literally flashes for a split second, I never see anything

i mean everythings fine except for the actual install now screen coming up

oh and the dead ;laptop
Press F8 before startup and select "Do not automatically restart on error"

Ok, I'm having similar problems on an Acer 5920....basically...i put the disc in....it gets past BIOS loading, I okay the loading from CD/DVD then it tells me that windows is loading files. Next, it changes to the normal loading screen again before blue screening me with the message STOP:0x0000C1F5, no matter what I do I can't get past this, even does this when I'm trying to load safe mode of any type. I've tried Acer's Alt-F10 method....also no luck....last resort? trying to install Ubuntu and seeing if I can gain partial functionality back.....any idea on how to no have to go that far?

From what i see of that Stop error it is something serious. Most of the suggestions was to get it fixed by the manufacturer.

The other suggestion was to wipe the hard drive and start fresh with that error code. So you might be out of luck to fix it.

Welcome to NST chimpyang!

Thanks! I'm only going to try and install Ubuntu in order to get the files off the computer, I have no qualms about doing a reinstall but would like to keep the files...can't actually afford an external hard drive before...my mistake!

Ok, problem seems to have been solved....the solution that worked for me for anyone who is suffering similar problems is to:
1.Source yourself a Hard drive encasement, this lets you turn an internal HDD into an external USB linked one. Make sure you get the sizes (2.5"? 3.5"? - check for the hard drive unit model and google it)correct as well as how the HDD usually connects into the broken system (i.e. SATA/IDE?...). Connect this up to another computer (ask the guys at a local indie computer store if you can borrow their PC for a bit...offer to pay a bit too..also helps if you buy the encasement off them too...) and transfer any files you want to save across. I got mine (Icy Box) for around £20-peanuts compared to the time I would have had to spend re-doing those assignments.
2. You then need to wipe (format) the partition that contains vista - ready for a new Install! Use tools such as mentioned in http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1279
3. Reinstall vista - use the recovery partition or a fresh vista install disc, unfortunately no other way to reverse the corrupt file.

There is also the possibility of using GParted or some other partitioning tool to set up a Linux OS installation on the computer (remember some computers - esp Acers annoyingly...already have the maximum of 4 partitions so it becomes a lot trickier). With the Linux you can go on and network and copy off the files that way. However, this method looked like too much hard work unless you have decent experience with Linux distros or have a good friend who does. But should be possible since the problem only affects windows from loading thus far...

Anyhow..good luck! Hope MS bring out a fix soon...

I need help with the recovery disc. I'm using Compaq laptop with the latest version of Vista. I downloaded the 64-bit recovery disc and booted my laptop up. I clicked on the "repair my computer link". But then at the next screen, my operating system doesn't show up. I have been from forum to forum looking for answers and I'd like to have my laptop working before college starts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Woi, welcome to NST.
Sometimes the auto-repair has trouble finding Vista if there's more than one HDD connected, and disconnecting the non-Vista disk temporarily during the repair is a workaround.
Alternatively, you could try hitting "next" on the screen where it fails to find your Vista. This will sometimes complete the 1st stage of the repair (in which case, next time you boot the CD, your system should miraculously reappear), and then you can do the startup repair a 2nd and a 3rd time. (It only fixes one thing at a time, and there might be several problems)

Hi,

I am having the similar problem as "Woiwor91". My problem arose after trying to install iATKOS V7 10.5.7. It installed chameleon 2.0 but chameleon is not booting my other OSs (vista business, win 7, ubuntu 9.04, fedora 11 ) . I think my MBR is overwritten (including partition table) by chameleon. There is a limited documentation on chameleon and now i wanted to revert back my bootloader to vista bootloader.
Before messing up with my patition table, I want your suggestions how to make my laptop working ?

Thx,

Hey I am having trouble with the vista recovery disc download...

I downloaded the iso then burned it onto a cd r

then I put it in my laptop, (a sony vaio vgn-fz160e) and I am able to boot from it

it then says "windows is loading files" and a white progress bar appears at the bottom of the screen

however, is then proceeds to just keep booting up windows like I never booted from the disc...

after a little bit it just stays frozen on a dark-blue screen, the one right before you enter your log-in info

Did you ever find a way to fix this, because i am having the same problem.... Heres my story

ok heres my problem, i download it via bit torrent, use imgburn to burn iso to cd, check it with md5 and it was perfect. Then i reset bios and changed it to boot from cd first. Put the Cd in and restarted my laptop. Laptop started and said press any key to boot from cd. I did, the a screen came up that said, windows is loading files... and i waited for it to finish. Then a screen came up with a box and some scrolling lines with Microsoft Corporation under it, no logos or anything else. After that it goes to a black screen with nothing. I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NR220E, that was pre-loaded with vista 32bit before this. So far i have try this maybe 50 time, i reset the bios, reseated the ram and still nothing. I have contacted Sony twice and the told me to go in system restore but for some reason its not working the way it should. I am all out of ideas, im not even sure that a recovery disk will work anymore. When i load the laptop in safe mode, it loads the window files until it gets to drivers\crcdisk.sys, any ideas?

It sounds like something more fundamental than a broken boot is your problem.
Have you followed the Sony recovery Instructions for your machine.
If your model isn't one of those available in the UK, try navigating to the equivalent URL for the country of purchase.

Trying to follow all this. you have to know if you still have the recovery partition especially the factory.wim file, everything is possible from this file only = we can recover your machine using only this file.
As this is long to explain, I'd like to know if you want to go that way.

Of course, using that file, that means you will recover your vista from the factory state.....

Back