hfs+ fix

M

maselko

hello!
could you tell me what does this "fix hfs+ partition" fix do? does it change partition's id for af?
thanks for the reply

That is a OS X file system. That option is only for users who use OSX. If you are not you do not have to worry about what it is.

hello!
could you tell me what does this "fix hfs+ partition" fix do? does it change partition's id for af?
thanks for the reply
No, OS X partitions should be already set to AF.

It attempts to set and reset the "ACTIVE" flag for the partition. So far it hasn't really been of much use, and it'll be deprecated in EasyBCD 2.0.

That is a OS X file system. That option is only for users who use OSX. If you are not you do not have to worry about what it is.
actually, i do use osx.

No, OS X partitions should be already set to AF.

It attempts to set and reset the "ACTIVE" flag for the partition. So far it hasn't really been of much use, and it'll be deprecated in EasyBCD 2.0.
oh, thanks for explaining. you better don't deprecate it, since it's used frequenly for leopard+vista dual boot and it helped me! even if i set the mac partition active, i still need to use this option.

So you used to get the HFS+ error until you used the HFS+ Fixer option in EasyBCD?

indeed. i get darwin bootloader after installation, which gets me winload.exe error when selecting vista (i fixed it with vista dvd). using the vista bootloader which i added mac entry to, i get hfs+ partition error. after using hfs+ fix, i get fully working vista bootloader which however gives me another multi choice bootloader from darwin! it shows two partitions again with vista default, so i cannot get rid of timeout, or it'll loop.
so i'm deleting mac entry from easybcd and set osx partition active in diskpart. (hfs+ fix doesnt change nothing here!)
so i think hfs+ fix just fixes the partition! :??

alright, now, i thought changing the active partition and fixing the flags is the same, so i have no idea what are you talking about. did you mean changing partition's id to af which i mentioned in first post?

changing the active partition and fixing the flags is the same?
Really? I wrote this? How silly. I'm sorry.

You can get rid of that feature if you haven't already, it's mostly useless now that we have Chameleon and most of the osx86 tutorials advise diskpart.

indeed. i get darwin bootloader after installation, which gets me winload.exe error when selecting vista (i fixed it with vista dvd). using the vista bootloader which i added mac entry to, i get hfs+ partition error. after using hfs+ fix, i get fully working vista bootloader which however gives me another multi choice bootloader from darwin! it shows two partitions again with vista default, so i cannot get rid of timeout, or it'll loop.
so i'm deleting mac entry from easybcd and set osx partition active in diskpart. (hfs+ fix doesnt change nothing here!)
so i think hfs+ fix just fixes the partition! :??

Exactly. hfs+ doesn't change the active partition, it just fixes the flags.
Ok, I'm not sure I quite get this...
If all that option does is fixes the active flag, then why did it allow him to boot OS X from the Vista bootloader?? Doesn't the OS X entry created EasyBCD just chainloads Darwin, just like it chainloads Grub, in the case of linux? If you're chainloading the OS X boot files directly, that means the bootsector of the OS X partition is not being used at all, hence why fixing the active flag on the OS X partition should have no affect...

Last edited:
It also corrects the HFS identifier on the partition, Jake.

That identifier is used by the chainloaded bootsector to identify the OS X partition.

The "chainloaded bootsector" being the bootsector of the OS X partition, or a special file which EasyBCD creates, that is a re-director to the OS X partition's bootsector?

So EasyBCD does have the Windows boot manager chainload the OS X partition's bootsector? Interesting...I didn't know that. Does it accomplish this by a special "re-director" file though? :smile:

Back