Dual Boot XP MCE/Server 2003.

idontknow

Hi,

I'm completely new to this dual boot thing and I'm wondering if I can dual boot XP Media Centre Edition with Server 2003 R2 EE. If so, could someone give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

Edit: I also only have one hard drive, C, and one restore drive, D.

Regards,
idontknow

P.S. Is it also possible to have both XP AND Microsoft's server loaded at the same time? I'm going to be using XP with Visual Studio 9.0 to build applications to use on the server. It would greatly save me time.

You'll need to reduce the C: drive and make it two seperate partitions for each OS. This can be done by deleting the C: partition and creating two seperate partitions during the setup proccess. I would install XP and then Server 2003, which should automatically create the dual-boot for you. Backup any data you want to keep before you begin though, as deleting the partitions well cause loss of any data on them.

As for running them both at the same time, this is not possible unless you run one of them as a virtural machine from within a host OS. This virtural machine is often simply a huge file stored on the partition of the host OS that the virtural machine manager application then uses to boot the virtural machine and can only be used when you boot the computer using the host OS.

Last edited:
You'll need to reduce the C: drive and make it two seperate partitions for each OS. This can be done by deleting the C: partition and creating two seperate partitions during the setup proccess. I would install XP and then Server 2003, which should automatically create the dual-boot for you. Backup any data you want to keep before you begin though, as deleting the partitions well cause loss of any data on them.

As for running them both at the same time, this is not possible unless you run one of them as a virtural machine from within a host OS. This virtural machine is often simply a huge file stored on the partition of the host OS that the virtural machine manager application then uses to boot the virtural machine and can only be used when you boot the computer using the host OS.

What if I just "shink" the C: partition by about 30% and just leave that space raw/make a new partition? The reason is because I've already installed XP Media Centre Edition 2002 and I'm using this to view the thread.

That's fine if you got the tools to do that. XP however doesn't, so you'll either need a Vista Disc or some other tool to accomplish it.

Whups. I did make another partition using partition magic, but it screwed up, and now I can't go back to XP because those HDDs are hidden. Is there any fix?

And btw, my XP MCE does have DISKPART for some reason.
===========================Fixed Above==========================

Anyways, I now have a new problem. My Windows XP can connect perfectly with the router, however, my windows server 2k3 can't connect to neither the router nor the internet. I can't even ping my own router. Every OTHER computer OS works though.

Last edited:
Make sure you have the driver's installed for your network interface card. The XP drivers should work fine in 2k3.

Make sure you have the driver's installed for your network interface card. The XP drivers should work fine in 2k3.

Drivers are installed. It just doesn't get an IP from it. I googled it and found this:

Win 2k3 enables the DHCP by default and it conflicts with my router. Now how in the world do I disable it?

Have you unplugged the router and the modem. The plugged in the router then the modem for a reset of both?

Did you check the network interface card's tcp/ip settings? It's properties should look similar to this.

Attachments

• TCP-IPSettingsDialog.JPG
    TCP-IPSettingsDialog.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 3
Did you check the network interface card's tcp/ip settings? It's properties should look similar to this.

Lol. I can't even VIEW the NIC. Anyways, it isn't detected due to a lack of UPnP and NVIDIA's failure to include Server 2k3 32 bit in their driver list. =/. Would a windows XP 32 bit driver work on 2k3?

Back