Can't Figure Out Where I Am Going Wrong !

joepwpb

This is the not the first time I have used EasyBCD but it is the first time I cannot get it to work!! :frowning:

I started with a new PC with Vista preinstalled. It came with three partitions: Recovery, "C" and "D". I made the new partition from the "D" part and then successfully loaded XP and installed EasyBCD. I then followed the procedure to get the Vista bootloader back, and made the entry in "Add/Remove Entries". But it reboots each time into XP with no boot menu choices.

I have attached the settings page and a shot of the current DIsk Management page.

You assistance wil be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Joe P

Attachments

• EasyBCD XP.JPG
    EasyBCD XP.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 5
  • XP DM.JPG
    XP DM.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 6
Use a Vista DVD or the recovery disc from this site to repair the vista bootloader using startup repair. Once Vista is booting again, you'll need to install EasyBCD within Vista so that you can add the entry to boot XP.

Use a Vista DVD or the recovery disc from this site to repair the vista bootloader using startup repair. Once Vista is booting again, you'll need to install EasyBCD within Vista so that you can add the entry to boot XP.

Thanks Justin...

I booted with VIsta and chose "Repair Your Computer" but no installations were found. So, I proceeded to "Startup Repair" but it failed to repair.

Thanks

Joe P

Last edited:
Are you sure you didn't overwrite your Vista system with XP? When installations don't appear, this is usually is caused by a hard drive issue, but that can't be since XP is booting fine.

Check out Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki for step 4 to see if that fixes it.

Thanks again...

Yes, the partition is there as can be seen in XP and it is accessable. Also, it shows in the "View Settings" page and DIsk Management.

I tried the first "bootrec" command and it returned "Device is not ready".

BTW...I have another PC which is and has been dual-booted for a very long time (with EasyBCD) so it is clearly functional. My question is, Are there any files that I can copy from that installation to the PC with the damaged installation, such as Winload, Bcedit or any others?

Joe P

Last edited:
***update***

Problem resolved...

After 6 days of scouring the 'Net and trying every solution I could think of, a Guru at DSLReports figured it out. ( http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21107945-Repairing-Vista-Bootloader ) The issue was that I needed to load the SATA/RAID controller drivers when booting with Vista, at the System Recovery Options screen. I just never thought of that even though I had to load those drivers from a floppy to successfully load XP. Also, I still didn't get it when I tried to run Ultimate Boot CD and it failed until I loaded those drivers.

There are many, many sites on the 'Net with step-by-step instructions on dual-booting XP and Vista but not a one I found in 6 days mentioned loading the SATA/RAID controller drivers. It could be said that, "You should've know that", but nobody else did!!!

I hope this helps, it obviously did for me!!

Joe P

Back