Cannot Find content of partition

kabutosc

Hi,
Suddenly cannot find the content of my drive D partition.
I can find the content if I access the drive using map drive from another computer.

I try to run chkdsk /F and it said "Windows has made corrections to the file system." but nothing change, I still cannot see those files.

Anyone has any advise?

Thanks in advance

Well the ovbious thing to do here would be to resecue your files while you can. Try reassigning the letter to the drive in disk management.

How exactly do you see the files from another PC?

If the drive isn't locally accessible, how is it available over the network? You need a drive letter to make it available as a network resource in the first place.

Hi,
So this is some scenario,
1. I have drive D:\, I try to open it with explorer, it's seems empty, but it has some folders and files. I have some programs installed in that drive too.

2.I try to open it with \\ip_address\D$ from another PC, I can see those files and folders, I can copy and paste in that drive

3.I use the command prompt, then change to drive D, then I try to dir, it didn't have any output.
but when I change directory to D:\Programs, I can see the list of the D:\Programs.

Any advise?

Thanks

You can also access your computer from the UNC path locally. Open Explorer and type it in the address bar. Then start copying your files because you might need to re-format. Open the regsitry editor (regedit.exe) and navigate to the following key: HKLM\System\MountedDevices\Offline. If the drive letter is listed there as a value on the right side of the screen (DosDevices\<drive letter:>), either delete it or change its value to 0. Reboot and confirm that you can access your files.

Last edited:
Do you have the viewing of hidden and system files enabled?

Yes, I have enable the view hidden files and folder

Addendum:

I think I have to re format the drive :frowning:

You can also access your computer from the UNC path locally. Open Explorer and type it in the address bar. Then start copying your files because you might need to re-format. Open the regsitry editor (regedit.exe) and navigate to the following key: HKLM\System\MountedDevices\Offline. If the drive letter is listed there as a value on the right side of the screen (DosDevices\<drive letter:>), either delete it or change its value to 0. Reboot and confirm that you can access your files.

Last edited:
So its not an offline drive? The symptons you are facing where a drive letter exists but the content cannot be accessed is usually related to this. Make sure to get your files first. After the format test it with some dumrry files to make sure you can access them and scan the disk for errors with chkdsk (you might just need a new drive as this might be a sign that the one you have is failing).

It's probably easiest to back up the files via the UNC path then format the drive and restore the files at this point.

Back