Triple Boot Problems

dcoaster

Hi all,

I have Win XP (preinstalled with computer). I then added Ubuntu Gutsy. And now Windows 7. By installing Windows 7, the GRUB boot manager was deleted (or is gone) and was replaced by the Windows Boot Manager, but I cannot get to the Ubuntu install, only to the Win 7 and Win XP installs. I followed all of the tutorials for using EasyBCD with neoGRUB and the long way of copying the GRUB menu and loading it manually in EasyBCD, but no luck. When trying both ways, and selecting the option in the Windows Boot Manager to shuttle it to the GRUB manager, I get an error saying that it cannot find the boot manager file created by EasyBCD. I've been all around the LiveCD and mounting the partitions to get somewhere, but haven't gotten anywhere. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi dcoaster, welcome to the forums.

Go to the NeoGrub tab under add/remove entries and uninstall NeoGrub and than remove the present entry for it. Go to the linux tab and add a new entry pointing to ubuntu's main partition. Before hitting add entry select grub is not installed to mbr and than reboot to test the entry.

Hi dcoaster, welcome to the forums.

Go to the NeoGrub tab under add/remove entries and uninstall NeoGrub and than remove the present entry for it. Go to the linux tab and add a new entry pointing to ubuntu's main partition. Before hitting add entry select grub is not installed to mbr and than reboot to test the entry.

Thanks! I had already tried this though. I get the same error about the file not being found in selecting the entry from the Windows Boot Manager. I did the steps that said to install GRUB to the partition itself as well, but still doesn't seem to recognize it. Or my menu.lst file is not formatted correctly, I used the instructions here:

How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

Linux - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

To try to get this to work, but it's the same outcome each time.

Addendum:

SUCCESS! Wow, after looking back through, my mistake was pretty obvious. The EasyBCD program was pointing to the XP partition to look for the mbr file which was not created since I hadn't installed EasyBCD on XP (only 7). After installing EasyBCD on the XP partition and adding the entry to the bootloader, everything works great. Selecting the entry goes straight to the GRUB bootloader and things work as normal. Thanks for your time in helping solve this!

For future search references: SOLUTION TO GRUB TRIPLE BOOT. RESTORE UBUNTU IN WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER.

Last edited:
Back