Tri - booting Ubuntu 8.10 and Vista+Xp NeoGrub

You also might want to reinstall Grub to the boot sector of the partition, not to the MBR...:wink:

To do this, run the following commands in your terminal back in Ubuntu:

Code:
sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
root (hd0,4)
setup (hd0,4)
quit
Also please create and post your boot_info_results.txt file:

cd ~/Desktop && wget 'http://comcast.net/~Ubuntu_grub/boot_script.txt' && sudo bash boot_info_script.txt
This will help us to better evaluate what your problem is...:wink:

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

It says

It says that for 5 and for 2 it just adds the line

Again, i think your problem is Grub isn't installed to the partition...its only installed to the MBR. :wink: You will need to first install it to the boot sector of the Ubuntu partition, using the above commands, before you will see it work. :smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Where do i use it, in ubuntu or at startup if i can?

EDIT:
It doesn't matter, because that code made it work like a charm, I just set vista loader as main and it boots up ubuntu just fine, thank you so much :smile:

Last edited:
Where do i use it, in ubuntu or at startup if i can?

EDIT:
It doesn't matter, because that code made it work like a charm, I just set vista loader as main and it boots up ubuntu just fine, thank you so much :smile:

Sorry...should have been more clearer. What i meant was to create the file, using the "cd ~/Desktop..." command that i gave in my other post, and then open it up, and copy/paste its contents into a new post. When you create it, it saves to the desktop, so it will be staring you right in the face. :brows:

Glad you got it working though. :smile: So i assume then that you installed grub to the partition, using the grub commands? because i don't think it would have worked otherwise...:wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Sorry...should have been more clearer. What i meant was to create the file, using the "cd ~/Desktop..." command that i gave in my other post, and then open it up, and copy/paste its contents into a new post. When you create it, it saves to the desktop, so it will be staring you right in the face. :brows:

Glad you got it working though. :smile: So i assume then that you installed grub to the partition, using the grub commands? because i don't think it would have worked otherwise...:wink:

-Coolname007

Yup, installing grub to the partition did the trick, thanks again so much

I still don't understand though why NeoGrub didn't work...:wtf: It should have worked with the text i gave you...i.e. with the root set as (hd0,4), which was the correct partition. Only thing i can think of in regard to that, is perhaps NeoGrub is only able to boot partitions which are in the MBR, which would explain why it didn't work, because yours is sda5, which means it exceeds the four primary partitions limit of the MBR. But of course, then again...that's only a guess. :wink:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Yup, installing grub to the partition did the trick, thanks again so much

Cool. No problem...glad i could be of assistance! :smile: Your problem also helped me to find a typo in my tutorial, in the bootpart commands...now thanks to you, i had Mak fix it (since i couldn't edit it myself, due to Guru's time limit on editing)! :smile: So i guess then i should be thanking YOU! :brows:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Kyzys, glad you got it working and thanks Coolname007 for helping :smile:

Hey, is the method i just described to him the normal way to get the standard Linux entry (that is used by bootpart) to point to the correct partition? Or is the normal way simply copying the Ubuntu menu.lst file into the NST folder in Vista, which will allow you to boot the same way? :booyah: I just had a brainstorm...:smile:

What i just described to him was the only way that i know (so far, at least) to get the standard entry created under the Linux tab in EasyBCD to work...but i know that that's probably not the normal way to do it! :smile: So it would be helpful if you help clear things a bit, and describe the normal way to do it! :wink:

Thanks in advance!

-Coolname007

Had grub been installed to the linux partition properly, the auto-config simply by adding a new entry would have worked without the need to do any copying. Regardless, all that matters is that its working now.

Had grub been installed to the linux partition properly, the auto-config simply by adding a new entry would have worked without the need to do any copying. Regardless, all that matters is that its working now.

Ok...so one more question. :wink: Does Bootpart normally come with the EasyBCD package, or do you have to download it separately, in order to make the auto-config work? I'm asking because someone once told me over at the Ubuntu forums that Bootpart was part of the EasyBCD engine, and i took that to mean that Bootpart comes along with EasyBCD. However, i also had to download Bootpart separately, as he did, before i saw the Ubuntu entry (not NeoGrub) created by EasyBCD work. And of course i also had to install Grub to the partition first, because it got installed to the MBR instead, when transferring with LVPM...

It seems i went to a whole lot of trouble for nothing...:x

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Bootpart comes with EasyBCD for the last couple of versions now.

Ok...thanks! :smile: But doesn't that mean, then, that the bootpart commands, and the auto-config should have worked from the beginning then (at least, after Grub had been installed to the partition), both for him, as well as me? if so, then why did both of us have to download Bootpart separately, and extract to the root of the active partition, before it would work? :wtf: We both seem to have the latest version of EasyBCD, too. So frankly, i'm a little confused...:wtf:

-Coolname007

You shouldn't have had to :S

I only skimmed through the earlier posts; but EasyBCD gets the contents of the bootsector and sticks it in a file for chainloading from the Vista BCD via bootpart automatically.... so you shouldn't have had that problem.

You shouldn't have had to :S

I only skimmed through the earlier posts; but EasyBCD gets the contents of the bootsector and sticks it in a file for chainloading from the Vista BCD via bootpart automatically.... so you shouldn't have had that problem.

hmm...then it is indeed very confusing! :smile: Perhaps Bootpart just wasn't included in my EasyBCD package, as well as his, though you say it was included in the last couple of releases, so i simply don't understand it...:wtf:

Anyway, thanks for the replies (and PM's...which i'm about to answer in the next couple of seconds, btw! :smile:).

Cheers! :wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
It's been there since 1.5 I believe, so I don't think that's the problem.

I sent you a beta of the latest version of EasyBCD 2.0.... give it a shot and see how it fares with you :smile:

It's been there since 1.5 I believe, so I don't think that's the problem.

I sent you a beta of the latest version of EasyBCD 2.0.... give it a shot and see how it fares with you :smile:

Ahh...thanks! :smile: I just sent you a thank-you PM, as well, so i guess this will be a second thank-you...:wink:

-Coolname007

Actually, i think the reason why the bootpart commands didn't work before, was because Bootpart was not in the root of the partition, and was instead in the EasyBCD dir. That is why "C:/bootpart.exe" didn't work, because Bootpart wasn't located in the root of C:/, as it is when you download it separately and extract to C:/ as instructed by the Bootpart experts. Instead, EasyBCD's version of Bootpart was located at C:/Program Files/NeoSmart Technlogies/EasyBCD/bin/Bootpart.

But that still doesn't explain though why the auto-config of EasyBCD that uses a Bootpart version that is part of the EasyBCD package, didn't work for me after seeing Grub installed to the Ubuntu partition, and the correct "drive" (partition" selected that Ubuntu is installed on...

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Back