fingerprint reader and webcam drivers

Coolname007

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone. :smile:

I would like to get some help with finding the correct drivers for the finger print reader and webcam for XP, for a Dell Studio 1535. I managed to find all the other drivers (though it took a while...:wink:) for the Dell Studio 1535 laptop, for XP, but as for the webcam and fingerprint reader drivers, I have had no success...:frowning:

I have tried the 7wf114ww (Lenovo) fingerprint reader driver for the fingerprint reader, as it was recommended by others who use that same laptop, and wanted to downgrade to XP (as it comes with Vista pre-installed), and the R180465 (Creative Labs Integrated Webcam) driver for my webcam...but both do not work. :x At first, when trying these drivers, I had XP SP1, and so I thought that that might have been the problem...but I have since upgraded to SP3, and I'm still having the problem with those particular drivers not working...:lup:

In regards to the fingerprint reader driver, that one installed ok (once upgrading to SP3), but when I try enrolling my fingerprints, the Lenovo included software tells me that it can't communicate with the reader. :huh: And as for the webcam driver...that one wont even let me install it. The setup says that "An error occurred while setting up the driver", and that's it...no further explanations! :lup:

So I'm hoping that someone here can help. :smile:

-Coolname007

EDIT: And I have checked my Device Manager, and the only driver that shows a yellow ? and ! next to it is the webcam driver...so it seems it recognizes the Lenovo fingerprint reader driver, but for some reason the fingerprint reader driver can't communicate with the sensor.

Last edited:
Cool, go to http://support.dell.com and select drivers and downloads and than your model. Should have all the drivers/apps you'll need for your system.

Tried that first off, but unfortunately they only have ones for Vista for that model, and not for XP! :wtf: Like I mentioned in the first post, I have the Dell Studio 1535 model, which came with Vista pre-installed...and Dell doesn't support drivers for XP for it. :glare: So I had to obtain them from various places, before I could get (mostly) everything working on XP...except for the fingerprint and webcam drivers, which I'm now trying to obtain. >.<

-Coolname007

Get the model numbers for the hardware from there and do a search string with that and XP. If your lucky they will have devloped one anyway even if its not listed there because they might have used it in one of thier other models where they did offer XP as an option. That's how I got the wireless driver for my laptop myself last January before they started offering XP drivers for it on my model's page.

Get the model numbers for the hardware from there and do a search string with that and XP. If your lucky they will have devloped one anyway even if its not listed there because they might have used it in one of thier other models where they did offer XP as an option. That's how I got the wireless driver for my laptop myself last January before they started offering XP drivers for it on my model's page.

hmm...I may try that. :smile: Thanks! I'll keep you posted of any further developments.

-Coolname007

Ok...so I tried that, but couldn't find the drivers for Vista at the Dell website for the Dell Studio 1535 fingerprint reader and webcam drivers, so was unable to obtain the model numbers. :lup:

-Coolname007

They only include drivers for hardware that ships with them. If your laptop is not customized through Dell than yes they won't have them. Use a information gathering tool to get the model specifics.

Try Belarc Advisor, Everest, SiSandra Software. One of those will give you the details you need.

Try Belarc Advisor, Everest, SiSandra Software. One of those will give you the details you need.

hmm...thanks! :smile: I may try that, even though I was just about to boot into Vista (as I'm in XP right now), and look at my Dell Support Center which came pre-installed, and which tells me what I have in regard to hardware and pre-installed software. But there is no guarantee that I will find the information I need there, and so its nice to have a second option if necessary! So thanks again! :grinning:

-Coolname007

Ok...I finally got the webcam to work. :joy: I only had to update the driver I had already installed, in Device Manager, and now it works perfectly! :grinning: Now if only I could get the fingerprint reader to work...I tried updating that one too, but I'm still getting the same error when trying to enroll my fingerprints in the included Lenovo software. :frowning: Actually, it did not update, because it couldn't find any better driver to use. It said the driver that I had already installed was the best one that was available, but its still not communicating with the fingerprint reader for some reason.

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Here's the "Other Devices" section of the Computer Profile Summary that Belarc Advisor created:

OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
AuthenTec Inc. AES2810
Bluetooth Bus Enumerator
Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Mini-card
HID-compliant consumer control device
ITECIR Infrared Receiver (EC)
USB Human Interface Device (2x)
Integrated Webcam
HID Keyboard Device
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Dell Touchpad [Mouse]
HID-compliant mouse
SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
SM bios service
Generic USB Hub
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub (7x)

The "AuthenTec Inc. AES2810" is the fingerprint reader driver that is currently installed, and working properly. But for some reason its not communicating correctly with the fingerprint reader, even though its supposed to work for the Dell Studio 1535 fingerprint reader. :wtf:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Re-install your fingerprint reader software. Also, sometimes companies will release thier drivers through WU, but in order to get them you must go into settings and accept to recieve updates for "other" products other than the standard MS updates.

Re-install your fingerprint reader software. Also, sometimes companies will release thier drivers through WU, but in order to get them you must go into settings and accept to recieve updates for "other" products other than the standard MS updates.
Thanks Justin. :smile: I will try that...but which *settings* were you referring to? I'll look myself in the Control Panel, and try to find it, while I'm waiting for a response here.

-Coolname007

Open WU and select the option to change settings. Find the setting to get additional updates. If its not enabled, it'll open an IE window and prompt you to agree to thier terms before it does a short update of WU giving it permission to download the additional updates. One of the things on my to-do list after re-installs. I got an updated wireless driver there from WU. Quite useful so that I don't need to take the time to go track one down or figure out if a new one has been published.

Open WU and select the option to change settings. Find the setting to get additional updates. If its not enabled, it'll open an IE window and prompt you to agree to thier terms before it does a short update of WU giving it permission to download the additional updates. One of the things on my to-do list after re-installs. I got an updated wireless driver there from WU. Quite useful so that I don't need to take the time to go track one down or figure out if a new one has been published.

Alright...so I did that, and tried the update of the fingerprint driver again, but still got the "The Wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software that is currently installed" message. :x Any other ideas?

Thanks, Justin for the help.

-Coolname007

Don't use device manager for the update. Use WU, hit check for updates, and pray it'll find one for you.

Second plan: follow advice in 11.

Don't use device manager for the update. Use WU, hit check for updates, and pray it'll find one for you.

Second plan: follow advice in 11.

Tried it, but it only found 1 hardware driver, and that was the ATI-Sound-ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio-ATI AA01. I may go ahead and install that, just for the heck of it, but it wont solve my fingerprint reader problem...:scared:

-Coolname007

Back