Dual Boot Issues (Xp just reboots pc)

Yoshiro

First let me say I have used EasyBCD before to set up my dual boot XP pro (which is what I originally installed on this machine), and Vista 64 Ultimate. Everything was fine til this morning.

I recently upgraded my CPU from an e6600 to a qx6800. This caused my mobo to go insane on me and tell me I was trying to overclock when I wasn't. So I told the mobo to restore to optimized settings. This seemed to work well, however, then it just booted into Vista without asking me about which OS I wanted to go into. Seems my boot.ini got cleaned out and vista was the only survivor.

Now I get into vista and figure ok, I'll just use Easy BCD and get XP back on there. I add XP set it to E drive (which is the HD that vista reads has XP), and reboot. Ok, list comes up, we are doing good. However when I selext XP, it then asks if I want to do XP or XP pro (this never happened before), and then it just reboots my machine as if it can't find windows xp at all.

What should I do here?

Addendum:

Further note, it tells me my boot drive is D, and when I use beta 2 of BCD and earlier versions, it keeps trying to set default XP to D (when it is in E drive, there are no Windows files on D).

Addendum:

Ahh just read the sticky. I'm going to try moving the boot files onto D (no idea why it is using D).

Addendum:

And that fixed it with the help of Beta 2's auto boot config. Thanks I guess for having a spot for me to post things while I should have fixed it myself with some sticky help.... :tongueout:

Last edited:
Hi Yoshiro, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies!

Glad you got it fixed and that EasyBCD 2.0's automatic configuration feature came in handy :smile:

I lost my Vista

Hi there,
Fistly I'm sorry I used this thread to ask about my problem because I couldn't find the link to post a new thread
I've got a problem with my wondows. here's the story..
first I installed XP on my first partition then I installed Vista in other partition.
Nothing went wrong untill I found that I couldn't update my antivirus NIS2009 in the XP. It says there's a prblem with my network connection. I tried to fix the network setting but it didn't work so I triied to repair the xp installation. somehow it failed. finally I re-installed my XP. Now everything's fine with my XP. the problem is I can't boot to my vista because the Vista boot option didn't appear. whenever I start my computer it goes directly to XP.
I have also check the boot.ini file in XP but I didn't find the Vista either.
How can I fix this problem?
Thanx

Hi there,
Fistly I'm sorry I used this thread to ask about my problem because I couldn't find the link to post a new thread
I've got a problem with my wondows. here's the story..
first I installed XP on my first partition then I installed Vista in other partition.
Nothing went wrong untill I found that I couldn't update my antivirus NIS2009 in the XP. It says there's a prblem with my network connection. I tried to fix the network setting but it didn't work so I triied to repair the xp installation. somehow it failed. finally I re-installed my XP. Now everything's fine with my XP. the problem is I can't boot to my vista because the Vista boot option didn't appear. whenever I start my computer it goes directly to XP.
I have also check the boot.ini file in XP but I didn't find the Vista either.
How can I fix this problem?
Thanx

Hi Abu Najaah. Welcome to NST.
The problem is when you reinstalled XP, it put XP's IPL in the MBR instead of Vista's, and that is why you have no way to get into Vista with your setup the way it is. :wink: To fix this, you will need to run Startup Repair using your Vista DVD to put Vista's IPL back into the MBR. It may take a few passes though, before its fixed, and you can boot into Vista, since it apparently can only fix one problem per pass, so you may have to run it a few times. The "New Thread" button can be found at the top of whatever forum you're in (you can't create one in the NeoSmart Forums index). For instance, in the EasyBCD forum, you only have to look at the top of the page to see that button to create a new thread.

Once you're in Vista, you will need to copy your XP boot files into the root of your "system" partition, and then use EasyBCD to add an entry in your Vista boot menu for XP.

Cheers, and let us know if this fixes your problem.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Hi abu, welcome to NST

If you've got your Vista DVD than great. Otherwise, get our recovery disc from here. Use our wiki to see how to recover the Vista bootloader.

"New Thread" button is at the top of the page above the first listed topic in the forum where it says "Topics in this forum:.." you want to post in. Click on F.A.Q link at the top of the page to read up on general forum usage.

Edit: cool beat me to the punch :smile: oh well, follow the links to get the recovery disc if you need it.

Last edited:
Good luck :smile:

Run it another time or two if it doesnt work immediately. Sometimes it takes a few gos to fix everything. If not, procceed to the manual command-line recovery steps in the wiki.

Dear Kairozamorro,
I didn't find the Repair option in the Vista DVD.
I also have read the wiki guidance than installed EasyBCD 1.7.2 but the program couldn't start. It says application failed to initialize properly.
I currently log on to my XP. need you help...thanx

Attachments

• easybcd error.jpg
    easybcd error.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 3
Dear Kairozamorro,

You need to boot from it first (by putting your CD/DVD drive first in the BIOS boot order), select "Startup Repair", select the installation you want to repair, click "Continue" or similar. Not sure why else it wouldn't appear on the Vista DVD...:wink:

-Coolname008

EasyBCD needs the NET 2.0 framework to be installed first before you can run it on XP.

You can't run EasyBCD from our recovery disc. Look at the wiki's screenshots. You screen should be looking similar when you have booted from the recovery disc.

You can't run EasyBCD from our recovery disc. Look at the wiki's screenshots. You screen should be looking similar when you have booted from the recovery disc.
Um, Justin...:ldown: I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about using EasyBCD from the Recovery Disk...he said he installed EasyBCD after he couldn't find the repair option in the Vista DVD. :lup: He wasn't saying he was trying to use EasyBCD from the recovery disk. :wink: Read the next quote:
Dear Kairozamorro,
I also have read the wiki guidance than installed EasyBCD 1.7.2 but the program couldn't start. It says application failed to initialize properly.
I currently log on to my XP. need you help...thanx

Cheers,

-Coolname007

Back