Friend's Hard-drive formatted

Yes sorry, imgburn, and what's ridiculous is that IMGBURN isn't burning my discs correctly! It's NOT working, the disc is empty.

You haft to eject the disc when its finished and re-insert it in order to view the contents.
I did, the disc was being read when inserted, and then it stopped and windows didn't prompt anything. :huh:

Addendum:

nothinghere.png

Last edited:
Sure you even correctly built the ISO then with UBCD4Win Pe Builder? :brows:
The instructions on how to create a UBCD4Win build, and make an ISO of the build files is on the page I linked to in my second to last post.
Also, make sure you're using a blank (hopefully untouched) CD to burn the ISO to. It wont work if you have a scratched CD, or a faulty CD reader/burner.

Sure you even correctly built the ISO then with UBCD4Win Pe Builder? :brows:
The instructions on how to create a UBCD4Win build, and make an ISO of the build files is on the page I linked to in my second to last post.
Also, make sure you're using a blank (hopefully untouched) CD to burn the ISO to. It wont work if you have a scratched CD, or a faulty CD reader/burner.
I tried to burn the Windows XP cd because I only have the iso, while this program requires the CD. I tried to emulate the iso, but it didn't work.

I tried to burn the Windows XP cd because I only have the iso, while this program requires the CD. I tried to emulate the iso, but it didn't work.
Ok, so if the XP CD .iso is on your hard drive, use a virtual cd-rom application (such as Virtual Clone Drive) to mount the .iso, and copy the contents into a directory of your choosing on your hard drive, and then simply follow through with the build instructions.

You don't mount the .iso and burn its contents to a CD. You take the .iso and use programs such as imgburn that provide the feature to burn an .iso to disc. Think of the .iso as a CD, but stored instead of on a CD it is on the hard drive. It requires more than just copying the files over. In order for it to work properly low-level information must be copied, which can only be done when you use an app such as imgburn that provides for it.

Now the only other thing that I can think of is either your burner is bad or the .iso you got is too big for a CD. If the .iso is any larger than 600MB or so, I would burn it to a blank DVD instead.

If you follow the directions for burning an iso in the wiki you should have no problems with imgburn.

@Jake: the builder creates a bartpe directory by default as well as an .iso if you want it to. The only time the bart pe folder is really useful is if you want to do stuff like setup a ufd. Otherwise, the produced .iso burned to cd is all that is needed.

Last edited:
@ Justin: I agree that he needs to eventually get the burn to work, but for what he's trying to do now (i.e. burn the XP CD) it is not necessary in this case, since the XP .iso is already on his hard drive. Sure, he could spend a couple of more hours attempting to burn it to a CD, but I'm pretty sure if he's had this much trouble with it already, it would make far more sense right now to just copy the contents of his XP CD .iso to a directory on his hard drive, to create the UBCD4Win build from. Of course, after he does that, though, he will then need to burn the UBCD4Win .iso to a disk! :brows: But at least his situation will be that much farther along than before, which it wouldn't be otherwise.
Even if he burns the XP CD, he will still need to copy over the files on his CD to his hard drive anyway, to build the UBCD4Win build from, since they recommend it, due to problems one might have with reading a disk, etc.

Last edited:
Ok, nevermind I see what you and Maccer meant by "XP cd". Yes, I do this as well whenever I need to make bartpe/ubcd4win media. I got my XP iso stored on my hard drive, and mount it with virtural clonedrive whenever I do a build, but regardless the final built iso should be simple to burn to CD assuming the build went a ok.

@Jake: the builder creates a bartpe directory by default as well as an .iso if you want it to. The only time the bart pe folder is really useful is if you want to do stuff like setup a ufd. Otherwise, the produced .iso burned to cd is all that is needed.
I was speaking of the XP CD .iso, not the UBCD4Win one...

EDIT: Yes, that is what I meant. The XP CD .iso being used for the build, with the files it contains being copied into a directory on the hard drive, after mounting the .iso with virtual clonedrive, or using it directly through the mount like you mentioned.

Last edited:
I've solved my CD burning problems, it was the iso, not the disk or program. But now I have more problems.
When I try to create an iso from the PE builder I get 4 errors and 1 warning:

Error: DeleteFile() "C:\USERS\****\DESKTOP\UBCD4WIN\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\petmphive" failed

Error: DeleteFile() "C:\USERS\****\DESKTOP\UBCD4WIN\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\stuphiv" failed

Error: SetupDecompressOrCopyFile() "D:\I386\MSTSC.EXE" to "C:\Users\****\Desktop\UBCD4Win\BartPE\SYSTEM32\MSTSC.exe" 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

Error: SetupDecompressOrCopyFile() "D:\I386\MSTSCAX.DLL" to "C:\Users\****\Desktop\UBCD4Win\BartPE\SYSTEM32\MSTSCAX.DLL" 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

Warning: File "nvgts.sys" not found

Edit: I did research, and it says that it does that when the XP disk doesn't have the key checker program installed. I have a patched version of it where it doesn't ask for the key.

Last edited:
Yeah, you need to use an unmodified version of the XP CD as a source. Otherwise, you will have all sorts of problems if its been modified with, say, nLite. Me personally has tried it, i.e. using a customized XP CD which I modified with nLite, and the build threw me 106 error messages. :brows: Once I tried an unmodifed version of the XP CD though, it worked first time, without any error messages, and only one warning. I guess that's because I took some things out of my modified version with nLite that the builder was expecting to find, and so consequently, it was unable to create the ISO.

So my advice to you would be to use your original XP CD if you have one as a source.

Cheers.

Jake

There's also been problems building with OEM discs, since they've been customized as well at the factory. Hopefully all you get is warnings (The using OEM disc warning is fine as long as you don't get errors) though like Cool mentioned. Sometimes you haft to enable/disable tools to get rid of the errors if your disc doesnt have the source files for it. Like say you got a Dell disc you might as well disable recovery console in the addons cause even it if it does build properly it doesnt work.

My experience with UBCD4Win PE Builder says to not have any files missing on the XP CD, because it seems the developers of UBCD4Win have it designed to fail with error messages if any files are missing. I had a little chat with people over at their forums when I was creating my own build, and that is the advice I received more than once, quite adamantly, I might add... :brows: To use a unmodified XP CD as source. No mention was made of there being a problem if an OEM disk was used, and so I'm a bit inclined to believe the contrary.

I highly doubt he will have any trouble creating the ISO if he uses a OEM disk as a source.

I wasnt saying you cant cause I know you can and have done so myself. Just explaining some of the challenges you haft to deal with when you're using a customized disc.

I used an original disc and it worked, I did all the steps, and my friend's hard-drive is detectable. Only one problem. The XP installation always fails:
Either it's...

*Missing files after install
*Can't load the operating system from the boot
*The setup cannot load/copy a file (I tried putting my disc in and out to try to resume progress)
When I try to skip a file, it just gets errors with the rest. (This usually happens around 69-75%) always different files. Is there a bad disk area?

I hate dell's little cheap marketing schemes. It was "designed" for vista basic, but it barely runs it! So I put in my XP CD.

This is obviously the CD Player's fault, I've used this disc already without any problems. XP is known to freeze on setup, but it doesn't happen as often.

Last edited:
Back