BUG ? 3 way Vista/XP 64 bit with Ubuntu 64 bit

cocokiwi

I have tried to get The setup to see Ubuntu 9.4

From what I,ve seen The "NST" file is PUT into the "L" Drive not the 20 gig Sdb 1 file in Ubuntu!

I have two 1 tb drives with Vista and XP using the First sector of each drive!

The L drive is the XP 64 bit sector! the First Ubuntu sector is right next to the XP
When I select the SDB 1 Native sector I find later the file is put into the L sector instead of the Ubuntu sector! and the file itself states Drive: L the next line points to the grub file
it should point to the Linux sector sdb 1,1 /NST file that is NOT in the right sector!
Of course it don't work! as it is supposed to! the GRUB file is where it is supposed to be ,in the SDB 1 sector and the NST file is NOT! I keep finding it in the L sector no matter what i do! It refuses to load into the right sector!:S:tongueout:oint:
It seems as I see it not recognizing the Ubuntu linux files and always seeing the Windows drive letter instead of the Linux one it was set to! Make sense! ?

Regards Dennis

Hello Dennis, welcome to NST.
I have tried to get The setup to see Ubuntu 9.4

From what I,ve seen The "NST" file is PUT into the "L" Drive not the 20 gig Sdb 1 file in Ubuntu!
First of all, what do you mean when you say "the 20 gig Sdb 1 file in Ubuntu"? If you're trying to say Ubuntu is located at "sdb1" (i.e. the second hard drive in the boot sequence in the BIOS, the first partition in the MBR partition table of that drive), and that partition is 20 gigs, then ok, that makes a little more sense... :wink: If you're confused that the /NST folder (containing the NeoGrub bootloader) is placed on XP's partition, instead of the Ubuntu partition, like you seem to think it should be, it is because you need to remember your Windows partition is still being used to control the multiboot, so that means that any and all OSes' boot files need to be on the "active" partition of the boot drive (i.e the first hard drive in the boot sequence). Otherwise, there would be no way to call up Grub (Ubuntu's bootloader), with the Microsoft boot manager controlling the boot process.
I have two 1 tb drives with Vista and XP using the First sector of each drive!

The L drive is the XP 64 bit sector! the First Ubuntu sector is right next to the XP
When I select the SDB 1 Native sector I find later the file is put into the L sector instead of the Ubuntu sector! and the file itself states Drive: L the next line points to the grub file
it should point to the Linux sector sdb 1,1 /NST file that is NOT in the right sector!
I'm a little lost by the way you throw the term "sector" around...
If you simply mean "partition", then ok, that makes more sense. Basically, as I just stated above, if your XP partition is the "active" partition on your first disk (you can check from Disk Management), then the boot loader of every OS on your computer needs to be in that partition. In the case of NeoGrub, what happens normally, if you check the box called "Grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector" under the Linux tab in the Add/Remove Entries section of EasyBCD, is NeoGrub points back at the Grub bootloader on your Ubuntu partition, but if you happen to configure it manually, it will usually end up being the primary bootloader for Linux. The menu.lst located in the /NST folder on your Windows partition is what points back at your Ubuntu partition.

But, really, you shouldn't have to go to all that difficulty of attempting to understand it before you can get it to work...
EasyBCD is intended to help total noobs at the computer to get a multiboot to work.
All you should have to do is simply add a Linux entry under the Linux tab in EasyBCD's Add/Remove Entries section, and point it the correct drive and partition Ubuntu is installed to (which from what it sounds like, Ubuntu is located on a different hard drive in your case, than Vista at least), and make sure to check the box called "Grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector". That should get you a working triple boot of Vista, XP, and Ubuntu, since it sounds like you already managed to dual-boot both versions of Windows.
Of course it don't work! as it is supposed to! the GRUB file is where it is supposed to be ,in the SDB 1 sector and the NST file is NOT! I keep finding it in the L sector no matter what i do! It refuses to load into the right sector!:S:tongueout:oint:
It seems as I see it not recognizing the Ubuntu linux files and always seeing the Windows drive letter instead of the Linux one it was set to! Make sense! ?

Regards Dennis
No, not at all, but just go ahead, and follow my advice above, and you will soon have a working triple boot. :wink:

Jake

Addendum:
Another thing: Make sure to use EasyBCD 2.0 Beta instead of the 1.7 release, because the beta builds have support for the latest Linux releases, and have more features.

Last edited:
Well! I was tired when I wrote that(grin) I work nights!

The Partition that the file is in is the XP 64bit ,The Linux files start next to it! the 20 gig Native Linux one!
Sdb 1 which is what the drive list see's it as! OK! so the file is in the Right place!
If it is WHY don,t it WORK! I did everything related to as requested by the BETA version 2.00
IT still is dead in the water! If Grub is the problem,why don,t it fix the menu.1st file that is the problem!
Argg! wish they would make a Boot system that WORKS!

Cheers Dennis

Back