Problem booting to Windows 7

I have Windows Vista installed as my main OS and have recently installed Windows 7 on a second hard drive, both of the drives are SATA.

I have used EasyBCD (v2 Beta) to create a dual boot menu. When I choose to boot Windows 7 from the newly created boot menu I get the following error:

'A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. If you have a Windows installation disc insert the disk and restart your computer. Click "repair your computer" and then choose a recovery tool. Otherwise, to start Windows so you can investigate further, press the ENTER key and display the boot menu, press F8 for Advanced Boot Options and select last Known Good. If you understand why the digital signature cannot be verified and want to start Windows without this file, temporarily disable driver signature enforcement.

File: \windows\system32\winload exe

Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file'

I can boot Windows Vista OK from the boot menu.
Here is a pic of my EasyBCD entry:

CaptureBCD.JPG

Can anyone tell me how to boot to Windows 7 using EasyBCD

Last edited:
Hi Billy, welcome to NST.
Did you get W7 from the MS site ?
I installed W7 on a second HDD with no problems and then just added it to the Vista BCD to include it in my multi-boot (with EasyBCD of course). It works perfectly.
If Vista is claiming that W7s Winload.exe is dodgy, is there any chance you downloaded this from a torrent which could have been pre-seeded with some malware ?

If you can provide your entries as listed in detailed (debug mode) that would be more helpful at this point. So the easiest solution I can think for this (if it'll work) is to switch boot priorities of the drives in the BIOS. Does Windows 7 now boot straight away? Use EasyBCD in Windows 7 to add a second entry for Vista.

If you can provide your entries as listed in detailed (debug mode) that would be more helpful at this point. So the easiest solution I can think for this (if it'll work) is to switch boot priorities of the drives in the BIOS. Does Windows 7 now boot straight away? Use EasyBCD in Windows 7 to add a second entry for Vista.

Solved

I did a boot repair using the install DVD of Windows 7 and everything is now OK

Thanks for all of the replies

I get the same error but i can't figure out the problem. I have Window 7 RC1 64 bit (Drive H:smile:, Vista 32 bit (Drive C:smile: and XP 32 bit (Drive D:smile: all installed on one SATA HD (i have another HD but thats just data).

When i boot up the boot menu comes up and i can run Vista and XP with no issues. When i try Win7, i get the error. But if i boot up with the Win7 DVD in the drive, win7 boots up fine. I tried to do a start up repair with the disk, but it says there are no errors.

I'm just out of ideas. I tried installing EasyBCD in Win7, and a few other things and i just can't find out whats wrong.

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
displayorder {5063b5ad-f77f-11dd-b14a-b428793d0dcd}
{e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
{5063b5ac-f77f-11dd-b14a-b428793d0dcd}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {5063b5ad-f77f-11dd-b14a-b428793d0dcd}
device partition=H:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
osdevice partition=H:
systemroot \Windows

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {e8709fb7-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
nx OptOut

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {5063b5ac-f77f-11dd-b14a-b428793d0dcd}
device partition=D:
path \NTLDR
description Windows XP

And which OS were you in when you obtained the View settings/Detailed (Debug) mode of EasyBCD contents, which you posted? Win 7?

I'm getting the exact same message and haven't been able to sort it out yet.

Each OS installed independently on their own sata drive.

When I installed Win 7 RC 64bit, I disconnected my Vista 64 bit drive so 7 would not take over the boot menu. I then tried to setup the boot menu with EasyBcd from Vista and then got that message. That setup routine is the same one I used with the Win 7 beta and it worked fine then.

I can boot fine into Win 7 (or Vista) by changing the hard drive boot priority in BIOS.

I have tried the current release of EasyBCD and the Beta and get the same results.
I have also set Win 7 to ignore code signing for drivers.

I'm trying to avoid using the 7 dvd to reinstall the boot menu as I think it will just override the Vista settings.

I have not yet tried to boot to 7 and make the changes with EasyBcd from there, but have installed EasyBcd to the 7 drive. That will most likely be my next step, but I would rather get it sorted out from Vista.

Last edited by a moderator:
And which OS were you in when you obtained the View settings/Detailed (Debug) mode of EasyBCD contents, which you posted? Win 7?

Again its from Vista. I'm using Vista as my main install until Win7 gets the official release , then i'll probably do away with both Vista ans XP depending on how well 7 does games.

Ok, guys, both of you should try running Startup Repair from the Win 7 dvd 2-3 times (since it can only fix one problem per pass), and see if that fixes the issue, like it fixed Billy's. Chris, just in case you're wondering why I asked those questions, its because I was thinking that maybe EasyBCD was being used from a different OS than from the OS you were in when you posted the drive letters, which would have meant the Win 7 entry in your BCD would have been pointing at the wrong partition, probably. But, since you said you were in Vista, when you obtained the drive letters, the BCD info, and that is where you were using EasyBCD from, that's obviously not the case. :wink: But I think Startup Repair should fix both of you guys' problems. I know you said, Chris, that you already ran Startup Repair, and it said no problems could be found, but try running it at least 2 more times anyway.

Coolname007, Thanks for the reply.

It seems to me though that it would be just as easy to reinstall Win 7 to it's own drive and just let it set up the dual boot as part of the install. The reason I tried to go with the EassyBCD option is so I could control the boot process from within Vista as I'm sure I'll end up removing the Win 7 install at some point and want to keep the Vista.

Perhaps at that point I could just use EasyBCD from Vista to remove the Win 7 entry(?).

Coolname007, Thanks for the reply.

It seems to me though that it would be just as easy to reinstall Win 7 to it's own drive and just let it set up the dual boot as part of the install.
If you define reinstalling Win 7 as easier than running Startup Repair, then yes...go ahead.
Just make sure you have Win 7's drive as the first HDD in the boot sequence in the BIOS, so Win 7's bootloader goes to the right drive.
The reason I tried to go with the EassyBCD option is so I could control the boot process from within Vista as I'm sure I'll end up removing the Win 7 install at some point and want to keep the Vista.

Perhaps at that point I could just use EasyBCD from Vista to remove the Win 7 entry(?).
Yes, if Win 7 auto-detects both OSes (which I'm not sure it does if Win 7 is being installed to its own hard drive), you should not have to add the Vista entry to your Win 7 boot menu (or vice versa). However, it may not...
Then once you want to get rid of Win 7, you can just reformat your drive, and your whole Win 7 (and its bootloader) will go away, and you will need to put your Vista drive first in the boot sequence again, so Vista's bootloader is used instead of Win 7's. No need to use EasyBCD to remove the entry since each system will have its own BCD, and the Win 7 one will disappear (along with the dual-boot menu) when you format Win 7's drive.

Jake

Last edited:
Coolname007, Thanks again for the reply.

I just took the easy way out here.

Changed hard drive boot order in BIOS to Win7, booted to the Win7 drive, used EasyBCD to set the dual boot from there. Works fine. I now have Vista set as the primary with a 5 second delay.

I verified that I can change drive boot order back to booting from my Vista drive and boot to Vista which is what I'll do when I get ready to remove the Win7 RC preview.

Still not sure why I could not set this up from within Vista with the RC as I could with the beta.

Anyway, I'm good to go.

pat

So far still a no go. Tried the start up repair about 5 more times and it's still not finding any error.

I'm just confused on what could be causing the problem. I just find is so weird that it works when the CD is in, and won't work when it is out.

Have you tried deleting the W7 entry from the BCD with EasyBCD, and then adding it again ?

Back