BLUE SCREEN stop 0x000000F4 Problem

eljie24

My computer recently just suddenly shut down ...I restarted the computer then it worked again but it suddenly shut down again, then I turned it on again and what I did was I restored to a previous checkpoint.
But then the restoration was not successful, NOW I got this blue screen saying this error:

stop 0x000000F4 0x00000003, ox87fe30D0, 0x87FE321C, 0x82290400

Then I just reboot my system and now windows does not start anymore, still the blue screen error message shows up every time I restart the computer.

I already tried the F8 on the start up, tried every option like safe modes and others but it the blue screen still appears and does not start up.

I also did the startup repair but it failed and gave me this response:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: External Media
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 0
Problem Signature 04: 65537
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: CorruptBootConfigData
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 1
Problem Signature 09: FixPartitionTable
Problem Signature 10: 1168
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Is there any other things I could do to fix this problem other than fully restoring my computer and losing all my files? or is there a way that I could save my files even if windows does not start up?
PLEASE HELP! I'm DESPERATE!

Hi Eljie, welcome to NST.
You say you tried startup repair. Was this by booting your own Vista DVD ? Or have you downloaded our recovery CD ?
If you've tried this already without success, it could be that you have a bad block on your HDD in the boot sector.
In which case boot the DVD/CD again but this time, don't do "startup repair" at the second screen, choose the recovery console option and run a chkdsk /f against your Vista partition.
It'll take a fairly long time, but it should remove any bad block(s) from use and enable you to try the "startup repair" afterwards. (This startup repair will need to be done probably 3 times in all - it only fixes one thing per boot, and there will probably be several things to fix)
If all this is unsuccessful, and your system is so badly broken that you need to "factory reset" it from your recovery environment, don't worry.
Before you proceed, download yourself a copy of a live linux distro, burn it to a CD with Imgburn, boot the CD and choose "don't change my computer" mode (runs Linux directly from the CD), and then you can access your HDD and copy all of your user files to external storage, keeping them safe till the PC is working and you can copy them back again.

Last edited:
Hi Eljie, welcome to NST.
You say you tried startup repair. Was this by booting your own Vista DVD ? Or have you downloaded our recovery CD ?
If you've tried this already without success, it could be that you have a bad block on your HDD in the boot sector.
In which case boot the DVD/CD again but this time, don't do "startup repair" at the second screen, choose the recovery console option and run a chkdsk /f against your Vista partition.
It'll take a fairly long time, but it should remove any bad block(s) from use and enable you to try the "startup repair" afterwards. (This startup repair will need to be done probably 3 times in all - it only fixes one thing per boot, and there will probably be several things to fix)
If all this is unsuccessful, and your system is so badly broken that you need to "factory reset" it from your recovery environment, don't worry.
Before you proceed, download yourself a copy of a live linux distro, burn it to a CD with Imgburn, boot the CD and choose "don't change my computer" mode (runs Linux directly from the CD), and then you can access your HDD and copy all of your user files to external storage, keeping them safe till the PC is working and you can copy them back again.
I'm trying to back up my files with Ubuntu, I have a vista, and I'm trying to find where my files would be.

If you haven't set up your own structure, they'll most likely be in users\youruserid\xxx
where xxx will be documents, music, pictures, contacts, etc.
Some apps might store your data within their folder structure.
If you're not sure, and you've got the space, copy everything and you'll be safe that you misssed nothing.

Last edited:
If you haven't set up your own structure, they'll most likely be in users\youruserid\xxx
where xxx will be documents, music, pictures, contacts, etc.
Some apps might store your data within their folder structure.
If you're not sure, and you've got the space, copy everything and you'll be safe that you misssed nothing.
I feel so dumb around this Ubuntu, I can't even seem to find the "users" folder. Where would it be? sorry for asking a lot of questions.

You're not looking in Ubuntu, you need to look with Ubuntu for your Windows data.
In ubuntu, double click on "places".
One of the places you'll see will be the Windows HDD by whatever label you gave it (if you gave it one).
Double click on it and you'll see the file structure exactly the way you're used to in Windows Explorer.
Double click on "users" then your id, and you'll see all the sub-folders.
If you start another "places" so you've got two side by side, and navigate to your external storage drive on the second, you can drag and drop from one to the other.

When I double clicked the Places, I can only see "windows" and "11.0 GB" and when I open them, my files aren't there. is there something I can do?

Back