Boot Manager Missing

ccpsc

Hi newbie here. I installed vista on a HD then partitioned it and installed win7 rc version to test ot out. I just brought a full version of win7 and did a clean install in the vista partition. I used the format in the install process to format the partition during the install.

It would not boot so I put the disc in and it found a problem and fixed it but it would only boot with the install disc in.

I found easybcd installe the beta 2 version and first tried the Manage Loader section it didn't work. Then Diagnostics Center and selected Reset BCD configuration it didn't work. Then Diagnostics Center and selected Re-create boot files that worked.

It will now boot into the first partition but at start up I don't get the oppotunity to choose which one to boot into. When it opens I cannot see the RC version. In my Computer it is not listed. In Computer Management it shows the partition but no details.

I can use the install disc to choose which opperating system to boot into but the RC version won't boot up now. I tried using the install disc to repair the RC version but it says it can't fix it. Can anything be done to repair this?

ccpsc;45621 I can use the install disc to choose which opperating system to boot into but the RC version won't boot up now. I tried using the install disc to repair the RC version but it says it can't fix it. [B said:
Can anything be done to repair this?[/B]
Hello ccpsc, welcome to NST.
Yeah, all you got to do is boot the W7 that works, run EasyBCD, go to Add/Remove Entries, pick the Windows tab, select "Windows Longhorn" in the Type drop-down menu, give the entry a name, point it at the drive letter of the partition the RC version is installed to, and click Add Entry.

Now you'll have a dual boot. :smile:

Cheers.

Thanks CoolName.

It doesn't have a drive letter. When I go to Administrative tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disc Storage it lists;

Disc 0 (D:smile: 149.04 GB
Disc 1 (First partition Win7) (C:smile: 615.02 GB, (Second Partition Win7-RC) (No letter) 316.49 GB
CD-ROM 0 DVD (E:smile:

When I right click on the second partition my options that are not greyed out are;

Mark Partition as Active
Change Drive Letter and Paths....
Format....
Delete Volume....
Properties
Help

Last edited:
When I right click on the second partition my options that are not greyed out are;

Mark Partition as Active
Change Drive Letter and Paths....
Format....
Delete Volume....
Properties
Help
You want to use the bolded option, and give the partition a drive letter...

Sorry I got distracted by work and didn't add; When I choose the Change drive letter and path.. it says "This opperation failed because blah blah...." I tried the options listed and was able to mark the partiton as active but that was all I could do.

It shows a partition there but lists no details and it cannot be accessed.

Uhh...if you change the active partition, your system wont boot.
(Maybe a problem with your bootsector? That will make your partition inaccessible...)

Addendum:

It shows a partition there but lists no details and it cannot be accessed.
That means your bootsector is messed up.
Boot the W7 DVD, access the Command Prompt, and run:

Code:
diskpart
select disk 0
list volume
select volume x
active
quit
bootrec /FixBoot X:
where "X" in the last command is replaced with the correct drive letter of the W7 RC partition (from the DVD; this will usually differ from the drive letter of the same partition from a booted OS on the same computer). The "list volume" command will give the drive letters of your partitions, as seen from the dvd, and the "x" in the "select volume" command stands for the partition number (also shown in the "list volume" command).
Once you do that, change the active flag back to the previously active partition, or your system wont boot.

Last edited:
I followed the instructions and when I got to" list volume" it doesn't list the RC partition, it shows all others including the cdrom.

Also after setting the partition as active I am back to booting from the install disc. But in EasyBCD it now shows the rc as the Default OS in Change Settings. Can anything be done from EasyBCD?

Last edited:
I followed the instructions and when I got to" list volume" it doesn't list the RC partition, it shows all others including the cdrom.

Also after setting the partition as active I am back to booting from the install disc. But in EasyBCD it now shows the rc as the Default OS in Change Settings. Can anything be done from EasyBCD?
I'm assuming you set the partition as "active" already, from Disk Management, and then never set it back when I indicated you wouldn't be able to boot all if you did that? Ok, then...in that case, did you make sure to run the last command? That command was the most important, as it rebuilds the bootsector on the "active" partition, which should now be the RC. Anyway, you can always set the "active" back to the previous active partition from inside W7's Disk Management.

Assuming you rebuilt the bootsector, attempt now to to change the drive letter of the RC partition again, and/or access the partition's files, and post back with the results of that, and I'll advise what to do next.

Last edited:
Back