Dual boot Question with Vista and XP (help appreciated)

OK.

Delete the old XP entry in EasyBCD and create a new one. Leave the default drive letter as it is (C:\).

Copy NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, and Boot.ini from E:\ to C:\

Reboot and test the new XP entry.

create new entry under, add a new entry? And it automatically changes to C:\. Also after I copy those files, dont i have to do something else?. Also do i need to change the configure boot?

Yep, C:\ is correct.

You shouldn't have to change anything if you copy all those files over. I'm not clear on why XP isn't booting, since it should work even with it set to E:\, but let's just give this a shot :wink:

Wouldn't make a difference - that's not going to trigger Vista to see it.

Do you have one harddrive or two?

:/

kk, no problem:
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Try this instead.

:/

kk, no problem:
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Try this instead.

Ok, i changed both of the boot files, one on my xp, and one on my vista, hope this works

Ok, i changed both of the boot files, one on my xp, and one on my vista, hope this works

IT WORKS, YOU ARE A GENIUS, THANK YOU SOO MUCH, ITS FINISH INSTALLING WINDOWS, THANK YOU SOO MUCH, I LOVE YOUR PRODUCT.

Sorry for typing all in caps, I'm just really happy

You're very welcome, Deadpixel! :grinning:

Glad you like EasyBCD - Please do stick around, we could use some company :smile:

(And if you really like EasyBCD, you'll recommend it to all your dual-booting friends!)

You're very welcome, Deadpixel! :grinning:

Glad you like EasyBCD - Please do stick around, we could use some company :smile:

(And if you really like EasyBCD, you'll recommend it to all your dual-booting friends!)

Thanks man for your help, everyone quit on me, but you stuck through and helped me :grinning:. Thanks soo much

You're mighty welcome - it was my pleasure.

Stick around, and share what you've learned with those that need help - I'm sure everyone would appreciate it!

You can install them to whatever drive has freespace, it'll work just fine (from the operating system you installed it in).

You can install them to whatever drive has freespace, it'll work just fine (from the operating system you installed it in).

So it doesnt matter, b/c it OS can pull from the different hard drives?

also, when I install video card drivers, those drivers have to be installed on the operating system in which they go on correct? B/c xp vide card drivers, dont work with vista. So when i download them, they have to go to E:\.

No.

Drives are just for storage. You can store data for any os on any drive, no problem. Now the configuration files for the programs you install on the other hand are automatically added to the correct Windows. They'll be added to the right registry, drivers will be added to the right OS, automatically.

So don't worry about it! Only thing that matters is that you run the installer from the right operating system - not too difficult, eh? :grinning:

No.

Drives are just for storage. You can store data for any os on any drive, no problem. Now the configuration files for the programs you install on the other hand are automatically added to the correct Windows. They'll be added to the right registry, drivers will be added to the right OS, automatically.

So don't worry about it! Only thing that matters is that you run the installer from the right operating system - not too difficult, eh? :grinning:

If i ever need to reinstall windows xp, do i need to go through the same process, of replaving the boot.ini, ntldr, and NTDETECT files to vista hdd, and then copy that code to change the boot file?

Back