Hopefully Simple Question about Vista Boot Disk

Janice22

Hi,

My sister's PC with Vista won't start, and using System Restore to go to an earlier configuration didn't help. Also, she wasn't able to get into safe mode. I prepared a Vista Boot disk following all the instructions on your site, and tested it on a functioning PC with Vista that we have here.

Now I'm on the way to my sister's home and no longer have access to the PC with Vista so I'm hoping for an answer here. I want to save her picture directory to a flash drive or DVDs before trying Startup Repair or reinstalling Windows. Do you know if I will be able to get to the command prompt with the boot disk and transfer files with the copy command?

TIA,
Janice

You should be able to use the command prompt and Xcopy, but a more user friendly option, if it's not too late now you're on your way, is to use the technique here.

Strangely enough I've always thought of Dos and the command prompt as user-friendly, possibly out of nostalgia for my youth. Still, I'm creating an ubuntu disk while I pack. I've been curious about Linux - here's a chance to play.

Thanks for the advice.

Janice

For the moment, just stick with "Try Ubuntu without changing my PC" option, running it directly from the CD.
Dual-booting it is an option for a healthy PC, not one you're trying to fix.

I will work to fix my sister's pc, and when I get home I'll play with mine. They can barely handle one operating system - I don't want to have to do tech support for two!

You should be able to use the command prompt and Xcopy, but a more user friendly option, if it's not too late now you're on your way, is to use the technique here.

Thanks so much for this advice. First I used Ubuntu to transfer the many precious photos of my sister's adorable grandchildren to my flash drive, then I used it to go online and search for additional ideas for fixing the system. In the end I had to reinstall Vista.

I'm going to make my own Ubuntu disc as insurance in case I ever have a Windows XP disaster.

Glad it was useful.
I have Ubuntu available in a quad-boot with XP/V/W7 which is a lot better performance than running from the CD, but I mainly use it as a way of circumventing Windows ownerships and permissions, which can make a big drama out of a simple attempt to edit a slight change in a Windows file. (Linux doesn't see all the hurdles MS places in the way of its own software)
It's a good tool to have in the cupboard for a rainy day.

Hope you never have cause to need it.

Back