Real quick

miktre

Ive loaded the iso DVD and its been running for about 15 min or so. I'm at the part where it says Microsoft Corporation and the green lines and going across the bar. Is this normal to be there this long?

Addendum:

NM hit the restart and hit f9 and got the DVD to load

Addendum:

Darn, I got the disk to work but the system repair didnt work. It all started when I accidently disabled the desktop wallpaper and all I got after that was a blackscreen. No icons, no startup menu, no nothing.
So I downloaded a hotfix from microsoft and that did nothing. Next I downloaded the Windows vista Service Pack 1, thats when it no longer booted up, justs shuts down. I meant to download Service Pack 2, I think I already had SP 1 and that caused the problem. I have no restore points because while I was trying to restore to fix the blackscreen I mistakenly erased the only restore point I had. LoL I just keep shooting myself in the foot. I let myself be totally unprepared for something like this, Arrrrr If anyone could throw me a bone as to what I do next it'df be appreciated. LoL Please don't tell me not to touch it anymore. LoL

Anyways great site, I denfinetly bookmarked it. I'm gonna haft to hang around here and learn so it doesnt happen to me again.

Last edited:
Hi Miktre, welcome to NST
It's not been your day, has it.
It sounds like time for a reinstall, since you seem to have eliminated all other possibilities.
Unfortunately Vista can't "repair install" keeping all your installed apps and data, so you might like to
get yourself a copy of a Linux distro like this, burn it to a CD, boot the CD, choose the "Try Ubuntu without changing your computer" option, and you have a portable OS which can navigate around the wreckage of your PC, and rescue your user data before the reinstall destroys it all.

Darn, I got the disk to work but the system repair didnt work. It all started when I accidently disabled the desktop wallpaper and all I got after that was a blackscreen. No icons, no startup menu, no nothing.
Interesting. How did you disable the wallpaper? :wtf: And more importantly, how did you do it "accidentally"? :brows:

Interesting. How did you disable the wallpaper? :wtf: And more importantly, how did you do it "accidentally"? :brows:

I right clicked on the desktop and was talking to a friend late at night and apparently there was an option to disable it, I really dont remember clearly, it happened so fast. LoL I was intending to disable the screensaver and sleep mode so I could run a full virus scan through the night. I noticed when it went into sleep mode it wouldn't complete the scan.

When you try to enable it again it says you haft to be logged in as administator, even if you already are. I guess others have ran into this problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934008

Addendum:

Hi Miktre, welcome to NST
It's not been your day, has it.
It sounds like time for a reinstall, since you seem to have eliminated all other possibilities.
Unfortunately Vista can't "repair install" keeping all your installed apps and data, so you might like to
get yourself a copy of a Linux distro like this, burn it to a CD, boot the CD, choose the "Try Ubuntu without changing your computer" option, and you have a portable OS which can navigate around the wreckage of your PC, and rescue your user data before the reinstall destroys it all.

Thanks for the tip, I ended up reading into it a bit. I got a quick question. Am I going to keep both vista and Ubuntu from here on out? What do you recommend? This is new to me.

P.S. I donated a 5 spot tonight, I know every little bit helps :tongueout:

Last edited:
It's always handy to have Linux around. I use it mostly when I want to tinker in areas of Windows where MS sets permissions and ownerships that make it as difficult as possible to do the job from inside Windows. I have installed it in its own partition in a quad-boot with the latest 3 Windows OSs, but unless you have plenty of spare HDD space, and want to experiment with using it for regular real work, then booting it from the CD is much the same (if a lot slower).

Back