W7/Xp dual boot now W7 won't boot!

scrimper

My system is running Xp home and I installed W7 Ultimate evaluation version on a 2nd HD, the dual boot menu appeared and it all worked well, however Yesterday I decided to increase the ram from 1Gb to 2Gb, when I tried to boot up after installing the ram the PC reported Hard disc failure or similar message, on opening the case again I found that Main HD PSU connector had come adrift (the one with the original Xp on), after refitting; the boot menu then appeared as normal but when I selected W7 it would not load, no matter whether I select Repair windows or start normally, what happens is that the MS logo appears and starting windows then the screen just becomes clear with a little 'raster' but no text or anything nor any HD activity, selecting F8 the same happens with most options the text loading files appears then it goes blank again.

I tried starting up with the W7 disc in the drive and it loads the files and displays the starting windows screen but a few seconds later I get the BSOD and I have to turn the PC off, so I can't even install a new copy as it won't even get to the install screen!

I have run scan disc on the drives and it did not find any errors.

FWIW if I select Xp on the dual boot Xp loads up and works as before.

All this seemed to happen because one of the HD power leads become detached, can anyone advise how I can get W7 working again? I was going to buy a copy of W7 but I don't want to waste money if my system won't even let me install a new copy, I am dubious of wiping the 2nd HD incase it causes problems with the dual boot and prevents even Xp loading!

I suspect it is something to do with the boot loader? I have installed easyBCD 1.7.2 but thought it better to ask before trying it as I don't really understand it or which option to try?

I don't know if anyone can help but I would be really grateful for some advice on the best way to try to sort the problem out. :smile:

Power cable was slightly detached, what about the data cable? Better yet, in XP can you access Windows 7's drive with all the data intact?

Power cable was slightly detached, what about the data cable? Better yet, in XP can you access Windows 7's drive with all the data intact?

No it was just the power cable to the Xp drive no other cable came adrift I installed W7 on the 2nd drive so I assume that the boot stuff is on the Xp drive as I installed W7 from there.

As far as I can see all the W7 stuff is still on the 2nd drive which works ok.

I am sure it is something simple that could be fixed with easyBCD but I don't want to try anything without asking for advice first as I might mess things up! :smile:

Well, looking through your description again shows its not a problem startup repair well most likely be able to fix. Other than removing the extra memory see if you can update your BIOS or reset the settings to their defaults.

Well, looking through your description again shows its not a problem startup repair well most likely be able to fix. Other than removing the extra memory see if you can update your BIOS or reset the settings to their defaults.

Surely removing the extra memory that I fitted would not rectify things? The pc works fine with the extra ram using Xp and I increased the ram on another PC running W7 and it worked fine? :smile:

It might. I mean if it was working before and now its not, its either the memory upgrade or the need for a BIOS update. How old is the machine? If its somewhat older (5 years or so) it may only be able to handle 1GB of RAM max (2 x 512MB sticks or 4 x 256MB sticks).

It might. I mean if it was working before and now its not, its either the memory upgrade or the need for a BIOS update. How old is the machine? If its somewhat older (5 years or so) it may only be able to handle 1GB of RAM max (2 x 512MB sticks or 4 x 256MB sticks).

No MoBo supports up to 3Gb ram and as I said earlier it works fine under Xp under dual boot it's just W7 that wont boot.

Back