Bcdedit error message

Victek

When I run EasyBCD I get the following message:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system cannot find the specified file.

Would you like to load a BCD registry for EasyBCD to managed?

I'm running Windows 7 x64. The system boots OK and I'm only using one OS. Any idea what's going on here?

Are you using a 3rd party boot manager ?
EasyBCD looks for the BCD in the "active" partition.
In my case I have a small active partition containing grub4dos, which chains to bootmgr(s) and NTLDR for my 3 Windows OSs in their respective independent partitions.
When I run Easy2, I get that message and have to point it at either Vista or W7 BCDs. (It was partly my request to CG that prompted the addition of the feature).

It won't cause any problems.
It shouldn't make any difference to the latest build of EasyBCD 2.0 either, that should cope with unlettered partitions
(though some earlier builds picked up a bug - you are up to date ? )
Post Disk Management and display settings info as detailed at the end of the sticky thread, and we'll try to explain it.

It won't cause any problems.
It shouldn't make any difference to the latest build of EasyBCD 2.0 either, that should cope with unlettered partitions
(though some earlier builds picked up a bug - you are up to date ? )
Post Disk Management and display settings info as detailed at the end of the sticky thread, and we'll try to explain it.
I assigned a drive letter to the hidden partition and that solved the problem. EasyBCD can now access all the settings and they are also available in the Startup And Recovery section of Advanced System Properties. You may be interested to know that the original problem was being unable to change the status of DEP from opt-in to opt-out (which is now also fixed). This investigation has been educational. Thanks to everyone who responded :smile: :nerd:

Terry, that error on startup means that Windows (via bcdedit) was unable to load the BCD registry, and has nothing to do with EasyBCD yet.

It's an issue I've seen a couple of times before, quite nasty. He'll need to change boot drive then reset BCD to truly fix it.

Which build are you using ?
I downloaded build 82, but when I click "About" on the Help menu it says 81.

Addendum:

Terry, that error on startup means that Windows (via bcdedit) was unable to load the BCD registry, and has nothing to do with EasyBCD yet.

It's an issue I've seen a couple of times before, quite nasty. He'll need to change boot drive then reset BCD to truly fix it.
Can you say more about this? After assigning a drive letter to the hidden partition (D) the boot options are loading properly in EasyBCD and the system is continuing to boot properly. Not sure what you mean when you say "change the boot drive".

Last edited:
I meant in order to make the problem go away even when the once-hidden partition has its drive letter removed.

So long as it's working now (and there really isn't any drawback to giving the hidden partition a letter!) it's fine.

I meant in order to make the problem go away even when the once-hidden partition has its drive letter removed.

So long as it's working now (and there really isn't any drawback to giving the hidden partition a letter!) it's fine.
If I wanted to remove the drive letter how would I need to alter the setup so it would keep working properly?

Back