Version 1.7.2 & 2.0 (b105) don't start

Xargo

When I try to start either of these versions, I just get a raw error.

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b)."

Related module is ntdll.dll.

Running it on Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Sounds like you have a problem in the .NET framework.
Do other .NET apps fail ?

Last edited:
Apart from one (which gives an UnauthorizedException, so probably unrelated), not really. I could try reinstalling the .NET libs I suppose.

iReboot and iReboot Service give the exact same errors.

How this all started:

I already had Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit on my first internal harddisk. I installed Windows XP on a second harddrive. I've never played with boot options after XP, so I didn't know they didn't use boot.ini anymore. To rewrite the MBR I installed EasyBCD, which fixed that so I could boot with Vista again. Then I tried installing EasyBCD on Vista to set up a second option for Windows XP, but as mentioned above I never managed to start EasyBCD on Vista in the first place.

I then tried to do it manually using bcdedit. The complete bcd now looks like this:

Code:
Windows-opstartbeheer
---------------------
id                      {bootmgr}
device                  partition=C:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  nl-NL
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {current}
resumeobject            {3b735ec5-d04f-11dd-99cd-d85d3ab29b2b}
displayorder            {current}
                        {ntldr}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 30
resume                  No

Windows-opstartlaadprogramma 
----------------------------
id                      {current}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Microsoft Windows Vista
locale                  nl-NL
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {3b735ec5-d04f-11dd-99cd-d85d3ab29b2b}
nx                      OptIn

Oud Windows-besturingssysteemlaadprogramma 
------------------------------------------
id                      {ntldr}
device                  partition=D:
path                    \NTLDR
description             Microsoft Windows XP
When I try to boot with the XP option, however, it tells me it can't find the application. Not sure what to do now. It's Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Last edited:
Your problem is that you've got something majorly wrong in your .NET installation.

Addendum:

Give me a couple of hours and I'll post a .NET 4.0 version of EasyBCD.

You then need to download an install .NET 4.0 to use it.

Last edited:
Nice, cheers. .NET 4 is already installed, as I use VS2010 for development.

Edit: If someone doesn't mind could he also look at my actual bcd problem please? I added it to my last post as an edit.

You need to use EasyBCD 2.0 to create a valid boot.ini file and copy over ntldr and ntdetect to the correct location.

Oh right, I hope this gets solved then. ^^ To be honest I've never had issues with .NET applications before. I've been developing for years on .NET (2, 3.5 and 4) on this computer, and ran loads of .NET apps. Most recent change to my .NET was the installation of VS2010, though that should just have installed .NET 4 on top of it. I'm assuming EasyBCD uses .NET 2, which on this computer hasn't been touched for over a year as far as I know, apart from Windows updates.

If you want a manual fix now.
Change D to C in the XP BCD entry
copy ntdetect.com, NTLDR and boot.ini from XP to the Vista root
change the copied boot.ini from rdisk(0) to rdisk(1) in both places

Give this a shot. I did not replace the embedded .NET 2.0 DLLs with .NET 4.0 ones, but the EXE has been updated.

Attachments

• EasyBCD 2.0 Beta - Build 106.exe
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Did a clean uninstall first, then intalled b106, but I get the exact same error.

Edit: Running the Windows system file checker at the moment, to see if it detects any corrupt system files.

I would probably have to rebuild all dependencies using .NET 4.0... I don't think I have the time for that since some of them I wrote, built, and put away years and years ago.

I've seen this issue many times now, it's almost always caused by the presence of malware on your machine. I have a friend who was developing with VS2008, he got this error all the time when running .NET 3.5 applications but never with .NET 2.0 apps. Cleaning the system of viruses and other crap made it work for both 2.0 and 3.5.

If you want a manual fix now.
Change D to C in the XP BCD entry
copy ntdetect.com, NTLDR and boot.ini from XP to the Vista root
change the copied boot.ini from rdisk(0) to rdisk(1) in both places
Copied the ntldr and ntdetect.com from the Windows XP disk to the D harddisk, that fixed it all surprisingly. The C drive already had a ntldr, didn't check ntdetect.com.

Edit:
I'll still scan my computer for malware and whatnot, but I highly doubt it's going to find anything. Your applications are the first ones I ever had this error with.

Edit:
I'll still scan my computer for malware and whatnot, but I highly doubt it's going to find anything. Your applications are the first ones I ever had this error with.
You'd be surprised how much crap can sneak onto a Windows system undetected...
Try running a scan with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Back