Dual boot with Windows 7 on both bootups

seemorebutz

I have two 1 gig drives, I would like to put Win 7 Ultitimate on both drives. The reason being....... one install would be lean & mean & fast to surf with, the other would have all my programs I end up junking up & slowing down my machines.

Is this even a good idea? Someone suggested just to make two spearate logins on one drive. Would that work if I had one drive all cluttered up and one drive lean? I am just trying to get a speedy system.

I can load any OS as I have a Technet Subscription.

Thanks very much,

Seemore

Easy to do.
Just add another W7 entry in the main OS BCD, pointing to the drive where you've installed the new W7, you can rename it "Lean and Mean" or whatever you like.
Make sure it has MSE installed and the firewall on, and your browser of choice, and you could also "offline" the main OS from the internet version, so that any malware you could encounter will never get to your main system. (Discipline yourself never to go online from the "wrong" OS)
That way, your "fat and slow" system should plod reliably on, immune from attack, and should "L&M" ever get infected, a quick reinstall (only 30 minutes for W7 with no apps) will have you back free and clean with very little effort.

Someone suggested just to make two spearate logins on one drive.
I do not believe a second account would make things any better on a cluttered drive with an encumbered operating system.

Would that work if I had one drive all cluttered up and one drive lean?
That *could* make a difference, but I am not sure how Win7 would act with a "twin" nearby. As a multi-booter, Win7 is the most troublesome for me. So if I were going to do something like that, I would find a way to hide the other drive from sight every time I ran either installation.

Back