WinXP & Windows 7 SP1

Wizardry

I have a dual booting system of Windows XP and Windows 7 Ultimate.

I recently updated Windows 7 Ultimate to SP1. Upon rebooting I can reboot into Windows 7 Ultimate but when I try to boot Windows XP it crashes. Before I installed SP1 on Windows 7 I did not have any issues. What is even stranger is if I try to boot Winows XP to safe mode it works.

Any ideas on how to go about solving the Windows XP boot issue?

Thanks,
Jim

I have a dual booting system of Windows XP and Windows 7 Ultimate.

I recently updated Windows 7 Ultimate to SP1. Upon rebooting I can reboot into Windows 7 Ultimate but when I try to boot Windows XP it crashes. Before I installed SP1 on Windows 7 I did not have any issues. What is even stranger is if I try to boot Winows XP to safe mode it works.
Thanks,
Jim
I have multi-boot: XP Pro, XP Pro x64, Win7 32 and Win7 64. Both Win7 Ultimate's updated to SP1 and I had NO problems booting into either version of XP later that same day.

Agree a 'repair' install of XP will probably fix the problem but I'd be more concerned about why things failed in the first place; that should also be investigated by you.

How are you dual booting the two operating systems?

What is your partition setup like? Which partitions are primary and which are logical?

“Agree a 'repair' install of XP will probably fix the problem but I'd be more concerned about why things failed in the first place; that should also be investigated by you.”

What were the last things that you did before the multiboot failed?

I also have a problem since updating windows 7 to SP1. I am dual booting XP and Win7 on separate drives, and have easybcd but also use the Vista HidenSeek as the boot manager. Now when I start up the computer, it goes directly to windows 7 start up screen with the 4 colour win 7 logo then freezes. Reboot again and it goes straight to windows and boots up normally. I have looked at the original hide and seek files on c:\drives and they look the same with the original dates when I put them on. Any ideas.

Like Vista SP1 and SP2, W7 SP1 has replaced bootmgr as part of the update.
If you're using HnS, then the "bootmgr" which SP1 thought it was replacing was not MS's but HnS's grldr masquarading as bootmgr.
Now the MBR calls bootmgr and gets the vanilla W7 version instead of the HnS custom grub4Dos.
The "bootmgr.hns" you see is the old pre-SP1 MS bootmgr (renamed by HnS) and is the module that SP1 should have replaced (if it had been aware that you'd hidden it).

You need to
1) delete bootmgr.HnS
2)rename bootmgr to bootmgr.hns
3) find .....\data\grldr in the folder to which you downloaded HnS
4) copy grldr to the root of your W7 partition
5) rename grldr to bootmgr.

for future reference, the best procedure for dealing with a Service Pack is mentioned here
http://neosmart.net/forums/showpost.php?p=38288&postcount=22

(I was OK this time. I anticipated the problem and altered my boot setup to boot the W7 HDD directly (via the real bootmgr) instead of booting via my custom HnS partition (see rest of linked thread), so once SP1 was finished I switched the BIOS back to HnS and everything worked as normal)

Back