Windows Problem Please Help

KayVee

Hey guys I'm pretty tired at the moment, I've been up all night trying to figure out this problem and haven't been able to figure it out yet, I really hope I can get some help on this

So everytime I go to start up my computer I get a black screen that says this

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or softwate change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

ENTER=CONTINUE ESC=EXIT

I downloaded the windows vista 32bit recovery, burnt it on a cd, then placed the cd in my computer, ran the cd, and tried to repair windows. The startup repair didn't work and I tried to follow your command prompt guide on Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki but had some errors

On step 3 when attempting to enter

x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

It tells me "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
I then tried to continue with
del C:\boot\bcd Which gave me the same error

Then
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
After it scanned it asked to add installation to boot list, I said yes
and it gave me the same error
So I decided to skip this and go to step four where I ran into more errors

None of the commands worked because everytime I tried to use bcdedit it tells me

"The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The system cannot find the file specified."

If I could get some help with these errors I would be VERY VERY GRATEFUL I haven't been on my PC for about 2 months now and I've been trying to fix this problem for about 6 hours now searching site to site

EDIT: Also when I get to the system recovery options a little box pops up and says
RecEnv.exe - Corrupt File
The file or directory C:\Boot is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

I'm not sure if that helps but I hope so

Last edited:
Do what it says and let chkdsk try to fix the HDD corruption.
Boot your recovery disk into "command prompt", then use chkdsk /r against your OS partitionto try fixing the bad blocks.
When it's finished (takes quite a while), disconnect your other HDDs and run "startup repair" again (three times) from the booted CD.

Do what it says and let chkdsk try to fix the HDD corruption.
Boot your recovery disk into "command prompt", then use chkdsk /r against your OS partitionto try fixing the bad blocks.
When it's finished (takes quite a while), disconnect your other HDDs and run "startup repair" again (three times) from the booted CD.

Disconnect my other HDDs? You mean my hardrive? if I did that and tried to run the repair there would be nothing to repair though, right?

Also when I try to run the chkdsk /r it tells me

"The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected."

Lol so many errors please don't give up on me :frowning:

Last edited:
I said "other". I should perhaps have said "if you have more than one".
You need to specify the OS address in the chkdsk command, that's why I linked to the syntax tutor.
Running it with no specified target defaults to the running OS, which is the CD, hence "locked" because it's a read-only device.

Back