Dual boot XP

LossVegas

Hi Folks, I'm an old nube; back to Vic 20, Commodore 64/128 days and I've built a few dozen puters since. This is my 1st attempt at a dual boot and I may have already screwed up. I'm in front of 3 puters, 5 monitors as I type. My daughters (puter in question) Compaq puter came installed w. Vista; I didn't like it so I pulled the HD and installed XP. Later I had probs w. that drive and re-installed the Vista HD (320GB). Now I find that a lot of my daughters progs don't like Vista, so I did alittle research and gave dual boot a whirl. First off I found that I needed to shrink the Vista part, (used Vista disk management) then install XP on that part and it would reboot into XP. Nope, it rebooted into Vista. Looked at the drives in disk man. and I see that C:Compaq is listed: Healthy (system,boot, page file, activecrash dump, primary partition); NEXT Partition; F: Healthy (logical drive)ntfs where XP was installed; and last but not least D: Recovery drive brings up the rear. ntfs Healthy (primary partition). In explorer I see 3 folders on F: dr.: Docs & Sets, Program Files and Windows. The question is where do I go from here?! Any direction at all would be greatly appreciated. @aLossVegas

It sounds as if your XP install didn't complete.
Use EasyBCD to add an XP entry (auto-configure) and see what it does when you try booting it.
I suspect it won't get very far, but let us know.

It sounds as if your XP install didn't complete.
Use EasyBCD to add an XP entry (auto-configure) and see what it does when you try booting it.
I suspect it won't get very far, but let us know.

Ty for reply. I concur, i've already started a re-install. My concern was the recovery sector as I read: 1- install XP in a sector after the Vista sector (which put XP inbetween Vista &the recovery sectors AND 2- put the sector at the end of the drive (which would put it behind the recovery sector). TIA4 411 LossVegas

Whatever instructions you're using are presumably using the terms "after Vista" and "at the end of the drive" synonymously (assuming that Vista used the whole drive)
It doesn't matter. You can put it anywhere you have space, or wherever it's convenient to create some.

Ty for reply. I concur, i've already started a re-install. My concern was the recovery sector as I read: 1- install XP in a sector after the Vista sector (which put XP inbetween Vista &the recovery sectors AND 2- put the sector at the end of the drive (which would put it behind the recovery sector). TIA4 411 LossVegas

Hi Terry, I've been roundNround. XP fimally booted after the re_install. I did go ahead and install nortons nis and all the Win updates and then installed EasyBCD. Install went fine w. .net framework. Everything went fine til I clicked "Write MBR." I think the message in the botton left corner said something like MBR successfull; then at the top after the window title it said (not responding). It wouldn't close even w. task man. so I had to power off. When I rebooted I got a flash of a BSOD and the system rebooted INTO VISTA! Then Vista had a prob loading and went into a self repair mode and rebooted again. Vista booted and everything looks fine there. I haven't seen the EasyBCD menu. I can see XP through Vista explorer but all I see is 5 folders and 1 sys file:
$RECYCLE.BIN
Docs & Sets
Program files
System Volume Information
WINDOWS
pagefile.sys

Am I in FUBAR land or is there stil hope? I read the troubleing page about possibly having to do a repair

Addendum:

Terry All of my msg didnt post. I had to log in again. It was supposed to read:
I read the troubleshootinging page about possibly having to do a repair install. Am I in FUBAR land or is there still hope?
Thank you (truly) LossVegas

Last edited:
Run EasyBCD in Vista and add an XP entry with auto-configure.
(you don't have to reinstall it, you can just execute it from wherever it's sitting inside XP)
When you've got the dual-boot working, from XP run this MS hack.
Without it neither system will be able to use System Restore.

Last edited:
Terry, I already have .NET Framework 4 installed onVista; any prob.?

Addendum:

Sorry! I read your post too fast and missed the meaning. Thx LossVegas

Addendum:

Wouldn't ya know. Now I'm getting the dreaded "right click; explorer has stopped working" Vista disease. Where did that come from? Darn, now moooorrreee READING!

Addendum:

Terry, I already have .NET Framework 4 installed onVista; any prob.?

Addendum:

Sorry! I read your post too fast and missed the meaning. Thx LossVegas

Addendum:

Wouldn't ya know. Now I'm getting the dreaded "right click; explorer has stopped working" Vista disease. Where did that come from? Darn, now moooorrreee READING!

FIXED!! The dreaded "right click; explorer has stopped working" Vista disease is no more! You would be astounded by how many folks have had this problem!

Addendum:

IT WORKED!!!, so far; so good. Thanks a million Terry! and for the recover hack too. But I'll do that TOMORROW. It's TV and popcorn stress relief time!

BTW If anyone needs the "right click; explorer has stopped working" Vista disease FIX. Just ask. LossVegas

Last edited:
Back