System in on hdd, but I want the system boot from my ssd. what to do?

qiplayer

Title should be:
The system partition is on one hdd, but I want to boot the OS in the SSD. What to do?

Hi, I'm writing after about 2 hours reading FAQ.

In this moment I have 1 xp(with missing sata driver) and 1 win 7 on a ssd.
And 1 xp and 1 win7 on a hdd.
The final goal will be having xp and 7 on the ssd. (I will have to reinstall xp and tweak it with the multilanguage interface, I prefer not do this now)

But now the problem I have, is that the system partition (on disk management there is only one partition called "system") is on the hdd, but I want to boot fast, and directly choosing win 7 on ssd, without having to wayt the bootloader starting from the hdd.

When I choose as primary boot the ssd, I can only choose between the two win xp (the system names are written white on black).

When I set the boot on the hdd I have all 4 possibilities (the system names are written black on a white bar).

Cud you tell me how can I change this, how can I set the system on the ssd? Or make a 4xdual boot without waiting the hdd?
only if there is a quite fast way to do it.

For now I would like to have all the 4 possibilities on the ssd. And when I get time reinstall xp on the ssd and delete the other 2 OS (those saved me already a few times from reinstalling everything).

I also noticed strange behaviours writing the mbr from the different windows install.
For example I saved the settings and wrote the win 7 mbr via easyBCD, but when I start the pc sequence is different.
The one I see, I probably saved it from another OS.

A feedback about the FAQ's I think these are too long.
I would need a resumee to use only the f.a.q.. Don't care about the details just want to understand the concept.
Sorry people today I spent 5 hours studying anatomy from a 1000 pages book. I cud resume a 30 minutes reading, and explain the concept in 2 minutes to the grandma of my friend, in german. (german is a foreign language to me, but I mean the concept was easy, to explain it, the book used one whole page) And she answered "das ist aber interessant!".:smile:

Last edited:
Sounds like your SSD had XP installed after W7 and the W7 boot on the SSD has been regressed to NTLDR which can see your two XPs but can never be made to boot W7 (either of them).
You need to repair the W7 boot on the SSD to put bootmgr back in charge (sticky point 4)

Sounds like your SSD had XP installed after W7 and the W7 boot on the SSD has been regressed to NTLDR which can see your two XPs but can never be made to boot W7 (either of them).
You need to repair the W7 boot on the SSD to put bootmgr back in charge (sticky point 4)
I already did that :smile:
but it didn't change the issue :frowning:

but I never know on wich harddisk it is writing the mbr, I suppose that if I do so it just writes the win 7 mbr to the hdd, as it was the main hdd with the boot files&co I had to put the hdd as prymary in the bios.

let me guess....

...but I think I already tried also this one......
should I start everything from the ssd and from win xp rewrite the win 7 mbr?

cud it be the solution?

(sorry for not trying now, I start work in 6 hours and I'm still supposed to sleep...

Have you tried the change boot drive feature?

I finally made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:smile:

What I was mistaking is that I didn't noticed that by the option installing BCD I cud choose the partition, and also that when installing BCD I then choosed yes to the following question, this was reinstalling every time the old settings.

now it works perfectly. Thanks much :smile:

Great news. And nice smiley :smile:
yeah!

but I'm thinking about windows 7, even if apparently I cud say it works fine, I continue having little trouble.
Now it doesn't recognize a joistick. Yesterday evening it worked fine.

I had to restart about 10 times because of a complete black screen after I took off the bridge between the 2 graphiccards. I was worrying to have broken something, but no, I needed just to wayt 3 minutes with complete black screen for the pc to recognize the new configuration.

I wanted to update windows, started the update, after 5 minutes the update download was at 0%. Then let him do automatic update, I shut down, and it did the updates in almost no time...

This just to say: having a pc is a hobby. Like to have a car of the '30

Back