How Do I Stop Dual Boot and Remove Vista?

Durango

I currently have Vista and Win7 installed on my computer, which has two hard drives. Vista is in the first partition of Disk 0; this partiton is an active system partition. Win7 is in the second partition of Disk 1; this partiton is an active boot partition. I currently perform dual booting between the two, with Win7 as the default.

I no longer use Vista so I would like to remove it from my computer......which means that I need to make my Win7 partition become my system partition. I was hoping that EasyBCD could help me do that.

Can someone please tell me the steps to follow in using EasyBCD to accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice..........

Good article, but it never mentions 'system partition'. Can I assume that the partition containing the boot files is the system partition, so that if I change the boot partition to my Win7 partition, then Win7 is now my system partition?

Will I then be able to remove Vista by reformatting the Vista partition (or maybe the entire drive that it is on)? And once I do that, is there still a need to change my BIOS since my old boot files will be gone?

Thanks..........

"system" in MS-speak (Disk Management flags) means "this is where the boot files which were used to boot the OS live"
"boot" in MS-speak means "this is the OS you're actually using at this moment"

Yes you should change the BIOS. EasyBCD copies the boot files. The old ones are still there on Vista and you will be unable to format it unless you've switched the boot disk order in the BIOS because the system will continue to boot using the old files (Vista will still be "system" till you switch)

"system" in MS-speak (Disk Management flags) means "this is where the boot files which were used to boot the OS live"
"boot" in MS-speak means "this is the OS you're actually using at this moment"

Yes you should change the BIOS. EasyBCD copies the boot files. The old ones are still there on Vista and you will be unable to format it unless you've switched the boot disk order in the BIOS because the system will continue to boot using the old files (Vista will still be "system" till you switch)
Terry, thank you very much. FINALLY someone has explained to me the MS-speak difference between "system" and "boot", which heretofore has been very confusing to me.:smile:

Back