Downloaded Recovery Disk but do I need it for these problems?

Dutchman

My wife downloaded the Windows Vista 64 Recovery Disk from this site and printed out all the instructions for my Acer, Aspire desk top. But after reading about Boot loaders and sequential Boot programs I'm (a lot) confused. My PC Boots to the desktop with no problem. About Three weeks ago my PC started acting very strange. I hope to include an attachment showing what it WILL NOT do (2). I found a link on a Forum for "Malwarebytes Anti - Malware" after running 4 Anti-Virus and Anti_Spyware programs which only picked up a bunch of cookies. I've attached the results after running the Malwarebytes program. I'm not a Geek, but to me it looks like 21 infections (3). But even after that the computer is still about 1/3 functional. My mail program "IncrediMail" pops up an Access_Violation screen each time I try to open an e mail. (Also attached.) (1)

Needless to say, I need help. One repair shop told me the OS needs to be re-installed but that Vista 64 is obsolete. Another wants $175.95 to "take a look at it". No guarantees! I've been limping along like this for about three weeks and it's starting to get old. Any help, suggestions, or explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...

Attachments

• PC Won't Do_2.doc
    13 KB · Views: 2
  • 21 Problems.doc
    60.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IncrediMail Error.jpg
    IncrediMail Error.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
It sounds like you just have a serious infection. MBAM is a great program but it doesnt always get everything. You might need to run a program called ComboFix from within Safe Mode to try and resolve the issues.

The disks most likely will not help you, as from the sounds of it this infection would have corrupted your restore points as well.

It sounds like you just have a serious infection. MBAM is a great program but it doesn't always get everything. You might need to run a program called ComboFix from within Safe Mode to try and resolve the issues.

The disks most likely will not help you, as from the sounds of it this infection would have corrupted your restore points as well.

Thank you for your input. I don't think I need a whole re-installation of the OS either. I read the CNET review on ComboFix and then the user reviews. 4/5 good but 7 bad. I read ALL of "How to use ComboFix" on Bleeping Computer. Both CNET and Bleeping Computer warn against trying to run ComboFix without a 'Helper'. Pretty intimidating! So far my plan is to post a similar post as above on Bleeping Computer Forum and see what happens. I would like to use Vista's Complete PC Backup and Restore Utility. I don't know if I have a Windows Recovery Console or not. What ever this was did corrupt my restore points. I click on System Restore and my printer screen comes up!

Many years ago, after updating Norton Anti-Virus, I rebooted the computer and it came back with a black screen. Wiped clean. I vaguely remember trying to put it back together from scratch but I really don't want to go through that again if I can in any way avoid it. I've never attempted anything like this. How does someone go about getting a 'helper'?

Sounds like a variety of Conficker from the symptoms.
No attempt to remove it using the infected OS would succeed, because it actively blocks and counters every kind of attempt to circumvent or remove it by flushing all defense processes continually, and intercepting any attempt to use online countermeasures. (Hence WUD, Sys Restore etc. being non functional)
You could try downloading the MS malicious software removal tool to a flash-drive on a completely clean PC.
Don't, whatever you do, carry across a flash drive from the infected PC to another. That's it's prime method of propagation and you'll probably end up with another one to disinfect.
Start with a clean (preferably brand new) stick and get the tool from an unrelated PC. iirc there's a version you can download to a bootable flash drive as well as the one that comes regularly through WUD.
Put it in the powered-down infected PC after you've made sure that it will boot from USB before HDD, then power it up so that it boots from the flashdrive and doesn't use the infected drive. (Make sure that every other USB device is removed first of course, they're probably infected too and just waiting to reinfect the OS)

I will say this up front about Combofix. Yes it is a complex tool, yes it has been known to cause corruption on some systems. But of all the times I have suggested it only once has that happened. I cant even begin to wager how many people I have suggested this tool to.

But as Terry said the use of a bootable disk or device might help. Microsoft has a tool you can try:

What is Windows Defender Offline

That might be able to help. I know that Avast has some bootable disk as well. So that might also be something to consider.

Thank you form the vote of confidence on Terry's suggestion. Short of someone sitting next to me with instructions, I guess I'll screw this up on my own. Thanks again!

Addendum

Thank you for the comeback, Terry. At least it gives me one more option. Believe it or not, my wife and I were exchanging things between her flash drive and mind and about 2 hours ago her PC and mine stopped recognizing the flash drives. What are the odds? I guess what ever some bastard put in my PC is still working it's 'magic'.

I mean I can help with Combofix, but the fact is that the tool needs to be run in Safe Mode. Without networking. So that means that unless you want to call me long distance and tell me everything the screen says step by step, there is nothing more that can be said. If something did go wrong, there really is nothing that I could do from where I am sitting. So while the suggestion of a "helper" is good, there really isnt much we as a helper could do. :wink:

Appreciate the Windows Defender Offline link. In the process of putting it on a disk. I have the FAQ for that on another computer so I'll probably try that first and see what happens. There are no infections in my computer now, but the damage is done. I don't mind calling long distance, if necessary. For security I could first give you my number in a Private Message.

Addendum

Appreciate the Windows Defender Offline link. In the process of putting it on a disk. I have the FAQ for that on another computer so I'll probably try that first and see what happens. There are no infections in my computer now, but the damage is done. I don't mind calling long distance, if necessary. For security I could first give you my number in a Private Message.

Well, I tried it from the disk and also my USB Flash Drive. They were both downloaded on another computer. When I go to run/open it, it shows me a bunch of files/folders. It won't start by itself nor in the BIOS mode. Maybe you have a suggestion?

You need to make the flash-drive bootable. There has to be a rudimentary OS on there from which to execute the MSRT.

Back