Cannot coordinate windows 8 and windows 7 (not a tech person)

jhmac77

I TRIED to open window 8 with the win 7 menu but win 8 black white opened with an error msg. Only way I can get win 8(newest development release) is to use the win 8 install disk and go to repair. I am a newbie and don't understand tech language. Please help!:huh:

It didn't work like I expected. It did not change the b/w menu of windows 7 but did add an extra b/w windows 8 menu making win 8 default.

So now I have two black/white(non-graphic) menus. Before I had one b/w menu(win 7) and a graphics win 8 menu.

I did not mention, that both of these partitions came from the same large hard drive.

I need to end up with one menu that makes both win 8 and 7 accessible.

Did you add a W7 BCD entry to W8's BCD ?

How do you do that? I have already created a win 7(default) win 8 menu, both active. But I still have a problem. I still need to put in a repair disk and allow it to go to the end for a few seconds without pushing enter. Without the repair disk, I get an error message.

Addendum

This is what is showing in the perspective windows 7 and 8: (I don't understand what the "Boot Drives are because those drives are not bootable.) Using Easy BCD 2.2 and showing this in windows 7;
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 0 seconds
Boot Drive: D:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Windows 8
BCD ID: {000535cf-1633-11e2-9727-fd3a1f75646a}
Drive: H:\

Using Easy BCD2.2 and showing this in windows 8:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Boot Drive: F:\

Entry #1
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: D:\

Entry #2
Name: Windows 8
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe Now what do I do? as far as the BCD's are concerned?

You probably don't have the BIOS boot sequence set correctly.
It should have at the top of the HDD sequence, whichever HDD contains partition F (seen from W8).
The boot drive referred to by EasyBCD is the location of the boot files.
Unfortunately neither W7 nor W8 do what XP and Vista did when you install them, i.e. put the boot files in the C disk with everything else.
Unless (like me) you take pains to force W7/8 to behave like XP/Vista, it will create a separate partition just for the boot files.
That's what EasyBCD is pointing to.
Confusingly, MS does not use the words boot and system in the same sense as the rest of the universe.
Disk Management flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

So EasyBCD's "Boot Drive" will be the one you see labelled "system" in W8's Disk Management screen, and that should be "active" and at the top of the BIOS HDD boot sequence.
Then you won't need the DVD in the tray.

How do I change the boot drive. It is on a separate disk and must be included

You probably don't have the BIOS boot sequence set correctly.
It should have at the top of the HDD sequence, whichever HDD contains partition F (seen from W8).
The boot drive referred to by EasyBCD is the location of the boot files.
Unfortunately neither W7 nor W8 do what XP and Vista did when you install them, i.e. put the boot files in the C disk with everything else.
Unless (like me) you take pains to force W7/8 to behave like XP/Vista, it will create a separate partition just for the boot files.
That's what EasyBCD is pointing to.
Confusingly, MS does not use the words boot and system in the same sense as the rest of the universe.
Disk Management flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

So EasyBCD's "Boot Drive" will be the one you see labelled "system" in W8's Disk Management screen, and that should be "active" and at the top of the BIOS HDD boot sequence.
Then you won't need the DVD in the tray.

How do I change the boot drive. If I disconnect it I cannot get the menu.

Addendum

I cant find any good boot information on drive F. This is confusing, very confusing. What I think I will do is reinstall win 7. This won't help because I will be doing the same thing over again.

Addendum

How do I do a screenshot of my partitions to get a better understanding of my hd system?

The sticky thread will tell you how to attach a screenshot here.
Disk Management can be accessed by Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management, or by Right Clicking "My Computer" > Manage > Disk Management

what is the purpose of disk management? Don't see anything there about changing the Boot Drive . Anyway remember I am just a newbie.

Boot Drive: D:\?? or F:\??

Addendum

I Though the boot drive is alway c:?

Addendum

I don't see anything in disk management to make C: the boot drive. Please explain?

Last edited:
The Disk Management is for me to see what's what.
I can't help you if you don't provide some detail to analyze.

TRANS FER TO MICROSOFT. I HAVE GIVEN YOU ALL INFORMATION. YOU ARE NOT CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Addendum

"Disk Management is for me to see what's what". Terry you don't tell me what you want. All of what you want. I would rather use a DVD than tangle with you as to what I should do. That takes time and worry to. I hope you have peace in your heart!
One day I will figure it out. See you later!
I forgive you.
Jim

Addendum

screen shot will not paste

Addendum

cannot post screen shot if you want to answer me contact at jhmac77@bellsouth.net

Addendum

clip_image002.jpg

I have another question. Look at the following from Easy BCD:grinning:efault: WINDOWS 7
Boot Drive: D:\

Entry #1

The Boot drive is D: So I am assuming Boot drive D and not C. So why do I get an error message when I try to get the menu. Why does the computer not go to the correct place in drive D rather than some where else. How can I get it to go to the right place without sticking in a DVD.
KAREN

Back