Windows 8 + Ubuntu + EFI

wredhyn

Hello, I'm running Windows 8 on a new laptop with EFI. I installed Ubuntu and have been wrestling with my machine since. I tried a few approaches including running Boot-Repair before realizing that I could use Windows boot loader. When I run EasyBCD (or bcdedit from the command line) I get:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified file is not in a registry file format.

I think Boot-Repair changed something it shouldn't have. What can I do to get EasyBCD to work?

New Ubuntu version supports Secure Boot

Hello, I'm running Windows 8 on a new laptop with EFI. I installed Ubuntu and have been wrestling with my machine since.

You did not say where Ubuntu was installed, I will assume the same HDD om am extended partion. The new version of Ubuntu supports secure boot, so why mess around with Windows boot loader? I would use the Ubuntu LiveCD and follow the instructions online for installing or repairing the MBR for Grub2.

Since this is a relative new install, I would reinstalling Ubuntu and using three partions for my linux instal: root (/) no more than 8-GB, home (/home) as mucha as you want for your data, and swap (/swap) so in a pinch you can re-intall linux without deleting your /home (user) data. You have to do manual partitioning during install. Before reinstalling just copy all the /home folder to Windows 8 NTFS partition. Then compy it back after you are done. In the process you should fix your boot problem.

Thanks for the response! Your assumption is correct. I installed it on same HDD but I'm starting to think that it might be easier to do it on a different drive (laptop has two). I just tried again though on the same HDD (it's an SSD). I reformatted the 12.04 partition and installed 13.04 with separate partitions for /, /home, and swap. After installing, I restart and get an infamous "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". I never even make it to GRUB2. When you say:

follow the instructions online for installing or repairing the MBR for Grub2

Where can I find those instructions? I see a few methods. I tried using Boot Repair but that didn't work. Thanks again!

Back