0xc0000428 on dual boot after reinstalling from image

JulesJH

Hello,

Unfortunately, my computer developed problems that necessitated my fitting a new hard drive and a new CPU by process of elimination. While I was upgrading, I decided to add Windows 7 Pro. Initially I had Server 2012 on C: by itself.

Since I added the new hard drive & cpu, I first installed Windows 7 on C: and then Server 2012 from a backup image on D:, both in separate partitions on the same drive. I did it this way round, as I wasn't sure if the Server 2012 image was corrupted from the multiple crashes I experienced previously (hence necessitating a further reinstall), and needed a fully functioning computer ASAP.

I used Easy BCD 2.2 so that now I get the dual boot screen, but it gives me error 0xc0000428 if I try to boot into Server 2012, with no options to repair, or any F8 options, it just takes me back to the same boot options.

How do I get Server 2012 to boot? I read somewhere on this forum that Windows 7 winload.exe will not chain load to Windows 8 winload.exe.

However, as my Server 2012 winload.exe is from a different hard drive, will that still work if I change it? The instructions I found on how to do this were not too clear. Obviously I don't want to mess up a fully functioning Windows 7 partition!

Last edited:
Rename C:\bootmgr to bootmgr7 (should be 375k) and copy bootmgr across from S12 (not sure of the size, but should be bigger. W8.1 is 390k)
That should take care of the Inv Dig Sig.
If and when you're happy that S12 is working fine, you can set that active and dual boot from there.
Afterwards you can remove the S12 bootmgr from W7 and rename the original back if you wish.

Rename C:\bootmgr to bootmgr7 (should be 375k) and copy bootmgr across from S12 (not sure of the size, but should be bigger. W8.1 is 390k)
That should take care of the Inv Dig Sig.
If and when you're happy that S12 is working fine, you can set that active and dual boot from there.
Afterwards you can remove the S12 bootmgr from W7 and rename the original back if you wish.

Hi Terry, thanks for the reply. I followed your advice and renamed the Win7 bootmgr to bootmg7 and copied across the bootmgr from S12 as you suggested. I booted sucessfully into S12 and reset the active partition to where S12 resides (C drive) and rebooted.

That 's when it wouldn't boot...

Luckily I had a Paragon WinPE recovery DVD so I could get into the system and change it back to Win7 as the active partition.

In the process of doing this, I can now boot into both. Do I need to set S12 as active as it now works fine as you suggest (see edit below)?

I have no idea why this works, but I guess the Paragon s/ware did something to it?

EDIT: I enclosed a shot of disk management in S12 and as you can see, there are now two active partitions since I used Paragon...

Jules

Attachments

• s12-disk-management.jpg
    s12-disk-management.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
There can't be two active partitions on one HDD.
The MBR Partition Table "active" bit is a pointer for the MBR IPL code to tell it where to go next.
Either that's a bug in Disk Management in reporting, or bad Paragon code setting a bit without zeroing the other partitions.
I suspect the latter, since it's hard for DM to get reporting whether a bit is 1 or 0 wrong.
I would guess you're lucky that the "good" one came first enabling you to get back into W7.
Use Paragon to turn the S12 off again.
There's no need to force it to boot through S12 if you're happy to go on as you are.
I imagine the problem with S12 is that its BCD needs repairing (a cloned BCD will still contain the UID which identifies the old HDD it was cloned from)
I should have been more specific in my previous post about what I meant by "S12 working fine".
In order to repair it you'll need to boot S12's installation disk and run startup repair (probably three times), but if starting through W7 (with the new bootmgr) works without needing any remedial S12 action, why bother?

There can't be two active partitions on one HDD.
The MBR Partition Table "active" bit is a pointer for the MBR IPL code to tell it where to go next.
Either that's a bug in Disk Management in reporting, or bad Paragon code setting a bit without zeroing the other partitions.
I suspect the latter, since it's hard for DM to get reporting whether a bit is 1 or 0 wrong.
I would guess you're lucky that the "good" one came first enabling you to get back into W7.
Use Paragon to turn the S12 off again.
There's no need to force it to boot through S12 if you're happy to go on as you are.
I imagine the problem with S12 is that its BCD needs repairing (a cloned BCD will still contain the UID which identifies the old HDD it was cloned from)
I should have been more specific in my previous post about what I meant by "S12 working fine".
In order to repair it you'll need to boot S12's installation disk and run startup repair (probably three times), but if starting through W7 (with the new bootmgr) works without needing any remedial S12 action, why bother?

Thanks Terry. As you say: Why bother? As it seems to all be working fine (my only gripe is that I cannot "see" the Win7 partition from within S12, though I can see S12 from within Win7) so for now, I will leave it as it is. Perhaps I will figure it out at some stage, but playing around with bootloaders is not my best idea of fun!

Maybe not being able to see the Win7 partition within S12 is a clue for you as to what went wrong?

I take it you can see W7 from S12 in Disk Management, but not in Explorer ?
If so just assign W7 a letter in S12.

I take it you can see W7 from S12 in Disk Management, but not in Explorer ?
If so just assign W7 a letter in S12.
Hi Terry,
Sorry for late reply. Actually no, W7 does not show in Disk Management or Explorer from S12, but I can see S12 from within W7 in Explorer or Disk Management...

Back