Change Boot Partition - remove old files

Roxie2401

In the documentation there is a statement: "EasyBCD will not delete or remove boot files from the current boot partition. As a result, you may revert to it without difficulty or dataloss but you will also need to remove them yourself at a later time."

What files "need to be removed" and will Windows actually let me remove them from the inactive or non-boot partition? I currently have a dual boot system where WinXP was on the first partition and I installed Win7 on the second. I want to use EasyBCD to change the boot partition to the one where Win7 resides, keeping the WinXP for a while.

Is there a list of what files need to be removed or is it just safer to leave them there? The above statement sort of implies "you need to remove them."

Thanks

No you don't "need" to remove them.
Some people are just tidy minded.
"you will .... need to..." in that context is stressing the "you", meaning that EasyBCD (deliberately) won't do it for you.
If you want to reclaim the tiny amount of disk space, delete the \boot folder and the bootmgr module from the inactive partition.

No you don't "need" to remove them.
Some people are just tidy minded.
"you will .... need to..." in that context is stressing the "you", meaning that EasyBCD (deliberately) won't do it for you.
If you want to reclaim the tiny amount of disk space, delete the \boot folder and the bootmgr module from the inactive partition.

Terry,

Thanks. I was pretty sure it was the hidden \boot folder but didn't know about the bootmgr module. Where do I find the module?

I've never been very comfortable in messing with the boot data and since I'm about to change which partition contains this data, I hope EasyBCD works well in this regard.

Thanks for the quick reply.

the \boot folder and bootmgr are both in the partition root. You will need folder options set thus to see them

Back