Lost Dual Boot

Jake

I’ve been using EasyBCD since the early days of Win 7, primarily to dual boot with Win XP. Today I’m using it to dual boot Win 7 64 with W2K8 R2. The product works great … just read and follow the guides and other documentation.
I recently had to delete the W2K8 R2 volume because I needed to increase the size of the Win 7 boot volume and my partition management software (Acronis Disk Manager) would not resize the Win 7 volume because the server OS (W2K8 R2) was on the system.
I restored the W2K8 volume with a partition backup, but EasyBCD doesn’t recognize this restored version as a bootable OS. I could re-install W2K8 R2 and I’m sure that would get me back to dual boot, but I have a hunch I’m probably missing something real basic that would be relatively easy to fix.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Jake

What OS version option are you using in the "add new entry" dropdown ?
I've tried two -- Windows Vista7/8 with expected results (no Server OS) and Windows NT/2k/xp/2k3 with unexpected results, again no server os. With the Xista7/7 option I did get the expected Microsoft Windows 7 result and with the NT/2k/xp/2k3 I got the unexpected Microsoft Windows XP result.

Jake

I'll have to leave this to mqudsi then.
afaik it should boot using the Vista option, but if EasyBCD isn't able to detect it only he will know what identification criteria he coded.

I'll have to leave this to mqudsi then.
afaik it should boot using the Vista option, but if EasyBCD isn't able to detect it only he will know what identification criteria he coded.
Thanks for looking at this, Terry. What you say makes sense, and I can tell you, the Vista option does detect a clean install of W2K8 R2, but it appears the Acronis partition backup and restore operations failed to restore a partition that the Vista option recognizes. I assume the mqudsi are the authors?

Jake

So you're not saying that EasyBCD said it could not detect a valid OS ?
You're saying that when you try to boot that restored partition, it failed to boot ?
That's an entirely different matter, which should really be in the Windows support forum rather than EasyBCD.
What's the nature of the failure ?

[

So you're not saying that EasyBCD said it could not detect a valid OS ?
No, I am saying that EasyBCD said it could not detect a valid OS.

You're saying that when you try to boot that restored partition, it failed to boot ?
No I’m saying that EasyBCD Vista option failed to detect the restored partition.

That's an entirely different matter, which should really be in the Windows support forum rather than EasyBCD.
What's the nature of the failure ?
EasyBCD Vista option failed to detect the restored partition.
I apologize if my explanation was unclear.

Jake

Back