Dual Boot, Dynamically assigned to Drive letter C:

Jimbo47

At one time I had Win 7.1 and 8.1 installed as dual boot system. the system would assign drive letter C: to which ever of the 2 OS's I chose to boot into. If I booted to Win 7 it would come up as drive letter C: If I booted to Win 8 it would come up as drive letter C: Kind of a flip/flop fashion. Right now I have Win 10 and Win 8.1 installed, however, Win 8.1 has been assigned to drive letter E:

Is there anyway I can accomplish this dynamic assignment of the drive letter C: using EasyBCD ? If so,,, How?

Thanks for any help or assistance that anyone might have,

Jim

Last edited:
Once it's installed, the letter is set in stone (or in 1000 places in the registry to be more accurate(ish))
Windows since Vista will always install itself as C: if you do the installation from a booted installation DVD.
If however, you start setup from the DVD running in another OS, the running OS being C: already, has to assign the next unused letter to the OS being created from within it.
You will probably find via a websearch, that various utility apps (and some partition managers) will be able to edit the multiple registry entries for you, but EasyBCD isn't one of them.

Once it's installed, the letter is set in stone (or in 1000 places in the registry to be more accurate(ish))
Windows since Vista will always install itself as C: if you do the installation from a booted installation DVD.
If however, you start setup from the DVD running in another OS, the running OS being C: already, has to assign the next unused letter to the OS being created from within it.
You will probably find via a websearch, that various utility apps (and some partition managers) will be able to edit the multiple registry entries for you, but EasyBCD isn't one of them.

Thanks very much for the reply, Terry

Back