GUI to edit "system BCD"

I would like to see a built-in editor, a GUI of some sort that will allow us to edit (at our own risk obviously) and easily the system BCD. I have a dual boot system with Win XP Pro and Windows 7. When I add the Windows XP EasyBCD always throws a folder into the mix called "NST" and puts ntldr in it, when it has always been in the root! I want to edit out the \NST part. I played around with BCDEDIT for 2 days with NO success in figuring out how to take it out. I have a good "store BCD" saved without the \NST folder, but I can't seem to save it to the bootloader and/or system BCD! Just frustrating really.

Before EasyBCD 2, in EasyBCD 1 getting a working dual boot required a lot of "suck it and see" guesswork to come up with the right ARC parameters, and could result in a plethora of XP boot failures requiring XP boot files to be relocated, until eventually (and generally several visits to this forum) serendipity intervened and things worked.
That's why the developer spent many hundreds of hours delving both into the MS boot internals and the BIOS, and wrote sub routines to find all the necessary information for you automatically, and then incorporated all that expertise into version 2.
EasyBCD puts things (copies) exactly where they must be for a successful boot. The BCD entry is not the only thing involved.
If you mess with what it has done for you, you'll just break the boot.
You can't "tidy it up". The necessary chain, and the extra copies are essential if you want the boot to work.

Before EasyBCD 2, in EasyBCD 1 getting a working dual boot required a lot of "suck it and see" guesswork to come up with the right ARC parameters, and could result in a plethora of XP boot failures requiring XP boot files to be relocated, until eventually (and generally several visits to this forum) serendipity intervened and things worked.
That's why the developer spent many hundreds of hours delving both into the MS boot internals and the BIOS, and wrote sub routines to find all the necessary information for you automatically, and then incorporated all that expertise into version 2.
EasyBCD puts things (copies) exactly where they must be for a successful boot. The BCD entry is not the only thing involved.
If you mess with what it has done for you, you'll just break the boot.
You can't "tidy it up". The necessary chain, and the extra copies are essential if you want the boot to work.

Well I managed to find a guy in the U.K. very knowledgeable with BCDEdit.exe and he sent me the line I needed to fix everything! No more "\NST" folder! No more "INVALID BOOT.INI". I get my dual boot menu option after bios does it's thing and I can quickly and easily boot into either OS with NO problems! NOTHING broke the boot!

It can definitely be done without EasyBCD, EasyBCD's helper files are its way of doing it an automated fashion however. What worked for you in your case won't work for the next guy with his configuration.

Back