Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Stu10

I tried to update from Windows 10 (1511) to the Anniversary Update (1607) but somehow it installed as new and did not upgrade me. All my user information and programs are not available. The old Win10 OS was archived in Windows.old and the User account, etc, were also saved. I have no rollback option. I tried to restore Win10 1511 with Windows 10 Rollback Utility, but it tells me that "This installation of Windows is too new to be safely repaired with this version of EasyRD. Please check for an updated release before trying again." What should I do? I can see all my documents, etc, in the the subdirectories of Windows.old, but cannot get to them.

Thanks.

Did you try the Windows method? The principle of it may help you. Windows 10 - Go Back to Previous Windows
That thread/forum might be a good place to ask also.
Roll backs are only allowed by Microsoft within 10 days of the update however, so that may be the reason it didn't work.
Meanwhile hopefully one of my co-helpers will have an idea.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, did you try System Restore in Windows 10?
(Win key + R, type in rstrui.exe and hit Enter)

You could also simply try uninstalling that update.

Last edited:
My first reply is partly wrong, I apologise...the premise that the rollback utility is for uninstalling an update is wrong. It is for when Windows is upgraded from one operating system to another. In your case it was a failed or faulty Windows Update. So that utility is not good for this. If you paid for it, you can obtain a refund by asking as per: Refund Policy - NeoSmart Technologies I would post a question about your predicament here: Windows Updates and Activation - Windows 10 Forums

My first reply is partly wrong, I apologise...the premise that the rollback utility is for uninstalling an update is wrong. It is for when Windows is upgraded from one operating system to another. In your case it was a failed or faulty Windows Update. So that utility is not good for this. If you paid for it, you can obtain a refund by asking as per: Refund Policy - NeoSmart Technologies I would post a question about your predicament here: Windows Updates and Activation - Windows 10 Forums
I tried the methods you described. It is simply not selectable in Windows. All of the information is in Windows.old. Should it not be restorable with this Linux software? Can the software be altered to allow this to be attempted? I have nothing to lose. Please help!

I think there's an issue causing the anniversary update to not be supported; it'll need a patch. Let me look into it some more.

I think there's an issue causing the anniversary update to not be supported; it'll need a patch. Let me look into it some more.
Thank you very much. Do you have any time frame? My computer looks brand new and none of my programs are accessible nor is my user account. If this fix cannot be applied in the next several days, could I simply copy and paste all the folders from Windows.Old into the appropriate place?

Not meaning to rush you, but have you had any luck with this? I might need to do a factory reset, then install all my programs, and then try to migrate the data, which is time consuming. I will need the computer functional soon, so maybe this weekend, I will consider my options....!!!!

Sorry for neglecting to post back, but if you re-download the Windows 10 Rollback Utility, you should find that it no longer gives that error.

Thank you. I had to do a clean install and manually move my User profile into the appropriate places and reinstall all my programs. I am working fine now, but would still like to have this utility just in case. I just downloaded it, but it appears that the iso file is corrupt.

I can't seem to burn the iso. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. It says "assertion failed." I did manually fix the issue, but would like to have this great utility for the future, just in case. I still have the original HDD that could not be rolled back, and can use it to test!

I tried both Nero and WinISO and failed. It also doesn't seem to uncompress with Universal Extractor. Should I try the built-in Windows 10 utility on a different computer?

Okay I successfully burn the disc on a different computer with the Windows 10 built-in utility. Down the road, I will try it out although I already manually restored Windows 1511.

Back