Vista Install DVD, Safe Mode, RAID-0

KermitC

Hi all,

I think my problem is similar to the one Christinaaa0 experienced, but not HDD related, like her problem.

Vista was working very well for me, until today. This morning it refused to boot up. It took me to the safe-mode screen with several options. I tried to start in safe mode and didn't work. Tried safe mode with command prompt, last good configuration, etc. . . None of them worked. It just kept restarting and taking me back to the black safe-mode screen.

I thought it was a HD error, but all the files on my c:\ drive are accessible. I got into Vista by hitting "Esc" at startup and getting into Boot Menu. In Boot Menu, I changed my Boot First Device from my Maxtor hard drive to something called RAID-O and it got me into Vista.

Does anyone know what the problem may be? Will popping the Vista Install DVD in and running Startup Repair fix the problem? If my HD failed, I probably won't get my existing files to work, right? I've done the System Repair thing, PC Doctor (my PC is a five-month old Compaq) and downloaded the latest Microsoft updates. I can only boot using RAID-0 as the boot first device.

I didn't have the restore points turned on. Starting using the last configuration that worked doesn't do anything. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. My Vista works (for now), but I have to keep hammering the "Esc" key at start-up to get in. I'm clueless as to what happened. Thanks.

Pat

Last edited:
Check your BIOS make sure that you have the RAID configuration turned off? You can try to fix your startup with the DVD. But no guarentees it will work.

Check your BIOS make sure that you have the RAID configuration turned off? You can try to fix your startup with the DVD. But no guarentees it will work.

The DVD didn't work. I can't even boot from the DVD. I saw on the neosmart pages that HP and Dell users without the stock Vista DVD can't get into the repair centre. I downloaded the program and tried it again. Didn't work.
Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

I saw that it is recommended to use EasyBCD if I can boot into Vista, which I can by changing my "Boot First Device". I used EasyBCD with no luck.

It's a software problem, most likely not covered by warranty.

That means you don't have booting from DVD/CD enabled in your BIOS.

I got my Vista booting normally again. I have two HDDs installed on this computer. The old one had my files from my college research days on it. The computer suddenly selected the old HD as the primary boot device, which doesn't have Vista on it. I got into setup and changed the boot first device to the proper drive.

I still couldn't boot from a CD/DVD though. I think I already enabled it in my BIOS, but BIOS to me are confusing altogether. :brows:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back