Trying to install BCD onto USB, but "...cannot make unmounted drives bootable..."

Wil

Hey guys so at the moment I have 2 computers:

Lenovo Ideapad y570 w/ windows 7 installed

Lenovo Yoga 11s w/Windows 8 installed

The one with windows 8 installed can't boot up. I'm getting the "0xc000014C" error

So as per instructions here 0xc000014C: Fix for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 I am currently having problems making a recovery USB. I already have a drive letter for the removable drive (which is in my case G) but when I use the pull down menu, it doesn't show up as G:
So how do I deal with this? I've gone to "computer management" and sure enough it DOES say the removable drive has been assigned a letter, which is G

Also I accidentally installed BCD on my C drive. Will that be a problem in the future?

Edit** trying to attach a screenshot but I can't find the "paperclip" icon

Last edited:
Look for the More Options item at the bottom of the edit page.
You'll see Upload a file.

There is still no option. Regardless, now my main computer is messed up and I can't boot it.

I installed BCD onto my main hard drive. Now it goes straight to the boot manager, how do I undo this?

I am using someone else's computer

It doesn't matter where you install EasyBCD.
It's a completely passive application, does nothing to your system unless you run it and tell it to change something.
I assume you are trying to use it to make an EasyRE bootable USB drive.
Try this instead
Creating a bootable USB
It's specifically tailored to that task rather than being an incidental sideline (of EasyBCD), so much easier to understand and use.

It doesn't matter where you install EasyBCD.
It's a completely passive application, does nothing to your system unless you run it and tell it to change something.
I assume you are trying to use it to make an EasyRE bootable USB drive.
Try this instead
Creating a bootable USB
It's specifically tailored to that task rather than being an incidental sideline (of EasyBCD), so much easier to understand and use.

Yes, it didn't do anything right away, but as soon as I closed the lid on my laptop, the next day I open the lid and now I have this problem. That was literally the only change I had made, try it on your computer and see for yourself.

But anyway, just an update:

- I managed to create a bootable windows 8 on a usb and change the boot order of my Yoga since I was able to access bios. I didn't even need to use easyBCD.
- Then after I fixed that problem, I found out that I can force my computer into bios and automatically change the boot order to boot from cd/dvd first by disconnecting the hard drive and turning the computer on. After reconnecting the HD, I was able to successfully boot with the CD and fix the startup issues (windows 7 said the startup files were messed up).

Yes, it didn't do anything right away,
Installing it does nothing except use up a little of your HDD space, same as if you'd downloaded a text file or a photo.
If you ran it and made some changes with it, then of course the future bootability of the PC would depend on what exactly you'd done.
It's both a foolproof GUI for making cosmetic changes to your menu (how 90+% users would use it) and a hacker's power-tool for all things related to booting (in the advanced menus)
Like regedit, in power-tool mode it can do untold damage to the boot if used without proper knowledge of the consequences, though unlike regedit which just carries a generic warning of its potential harm if misused, EasyBCD will actually detect that you have made your system unbootable and specifically warn you not to reboot without taking further action.
I take it that you didn't receive and ignore such a warning (though many have to their cost - "..I didn't thing it meant it seriously...!" ), so as I said, the link between you merely installing it and your PC breaking would have been completely coincidental.

That said, I'm glad you've managed to fix it now.

I know Dell PCs have disabled the ability to change the BIOS boot sequence (one reason to put me off buying one - I don't like being treated like an infant), but I was not aware that Lenovo (I used to work for IBM, from whom Lenovo acquired the PC business) had any such restriction.

It's always a good idea to have optical before HDD in the generic boot sequence. It doesn't slow down the normal boot enough that you'd notice, but it always means that you can slip in a repair disk, a Linux CD, or a bootable partition manager to the normally empty drive and pre-empt the normal boot into the OS. Every PC I ever built is set up that way.
Would have saved you a lot of heartache.

Good luck with your future use. Glad to see you're still sensibly using W7

Back